Home

So you want to join Adventure Gamers?

Dom and Twif - I'm not talking about offering advice and help to someone who's second language is english, and who's working on improving their grasp. I am merely talking about when someone expresses a thought, and their meaning is obvious - yet the words they use to arrive at that meaning are not what you would have chosen - or it's ::shudder:: a base disregard of proper grammer - that it should even be an issue. I don't think this forum is the place for that - but hey that's just me, feel free to unashamedly correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

OK,

1)Helping non-Englishers with English -- well, no one raised their hand ;) so I'll take it that people to prefer to learn on their own, or not at all.

2)Correcting people's spellings of "everyone" -- I try not to do that.

3)My blatant breaking of #2 in Kingz's case. Well, that was intended as a joke.

4)I haven't a problem with disgrammarization -- 'tadds pinâche, in the same way thésè çøøl áççêñts do. Or... -- something.

Sigh...

Although I have no problem with the word 'auto' I confuse 'automatic' for 'authentic' - at least as far as spelling of the begining goes. And it annoys me. Often I pick up that I have misspelled that damn word - and I hate it when I don't.

I also cannot pronounce the word 'book', OK? It sounds like 'bewk'. And from time to time, when I am tired, I say my Ws like they were Vs, and go over Rs like Edith Piaff - in a typical Slavic façon. I also mix British pronounciations with my American slang to come up with something that neither Brits nor Americans can understand, ok?! Not everybody picks up that I have an accent, however, most people when they first meet me think I am just very snobbish and possibly from Cambridge, Massachusetts. So, there.

What are we talking about anyway?

Kingz,

You mean you sound like the Kennedy family?! Nobody up Boston-way (or even in New England) that I've ever heard has even a slight English (U.K.) accent. It's more nasal yankee chopping off of the letter "r" as in "Pahk the cah in Hahvad Yahd" instead of "Park the car in Harvard Yard." And in this area, the word "wicked" has been a general replacement for the word "very" for at least 30 years if not longer. I can say all this with confidence-- I was born, raised in and still live about 30 miles south of Boston. :D

Originally posted by Novel_T

Dom and Twif - I'm not talking about offering advice and help to someone who's second language is english, and who's working on improving their grasp. I am merely talking about when someone expresses a thought, and their meaning is obvious - yet the words they use to arrive at that meaning are not what you would have chosen - or it's ::shudder:: a base disregard of proper grammer - that it should even be an issue. I don't think this forum is the place for that - but hey that's just me, feel free to unashamedly correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

While their meaning may be obvious to people who are already fluent in the language, it may not be so clear to someone still finding their feet. People learn English by learning the rules and applying them, so they may not be able to understand at all if we let grammar and spelling slip. People always say grammar and spelling are irrelevant; I vehemently disagree; grammar and spelling are the key to clarity.

I agree it's probably not so important among purely native english speakers. But this forum is made up of people from around the world, the majority of whom are not native english writers.

Anyway, I hope I don't seem too whiney about this :D

(p.s. I'm not talking at all about Kingz' "authomatic", I didn't even know about it when I posted; I was just answering Novel_T's point. :))

Most of the time people do understand what was ment even with mistakes. One must do really grand mistake in order to be misunderstood by people with sufficient level of english, even if those peoples' first language isn't english. In common people who speak some language as second/third/forth/.... do less mistakes then people that speak it as first language.

On topic: I want to join! I want to join! Were do I sign in? :p

Archived