Home

Favorite level?

Katarn07

No poll, 14 levels, 10 options for a maximum.

I do not have a favorite level. They were all great, and some I can remember more than others. My least favorite level is the Executor is all I know. Poorly designed, as easy as Secret Base, save for the showdown with the 3 Darktroopers.

Unlike JO, DF and JK had great level designs that may not be realistic, but at least made them memorable. I loved them all. If I had to pick 3 (in no order) they'd be Fest, Gromas, and Ergo.

Talay was a great level. The atmosphere was great. All the ruined buildings and corpses.

I really liked the Detention Center level, though it wasn't much of a detention center - it only had about 5 cells.

I like the Imperial City level, though it really doesn't resemble Coruscant. Fighting Fett at the end is really cool as well, though it is possible to kill him at the beginning if you have mines.

I don't really have a favourite though.

It had 10 or 11 cells I think.

There was one floor to visit that wasn't necessary to even go to. There was a force field to deactivate, and 6 cells awaited you in a hallway with the same design as the one seen in ANH.

Then, there was a floor to go to, that had a big chasm filled with IM Mines. There were 2 bridges to cross, a cell awaited at the end of each.

Then there were either 4 or 5 cells in the High detention area. They should have made some bosses or unique enemies in the cells Crix wasn't in. Oh well, fun enough. That and level 3 were the hardest level for me to complete. :)

First, a request - Katarn07, I know you don't like JKII, but is there any reason to take pot shots at it in every post? Personally I prefer it to DF, or JK/MotS. But I'm here to talk about another of my most loved games, DF. Can we keep it to that?

My fave ... that is tough. Having just finished the game last week again, it is fresh, but still hard to choose a fave.

I really like Mission IV: Research Facility quite a bit, the puzzle-y nature I liked.

I didn't like Level 5 much ... but the first Dark Trooper encounter is always a thrill!

And I just love the Arc Hammer for two reasons. The end bosses are something ... but there is just wave after wave of stormtroopers to mow down ... and isn't that what it's all about? ;)

Mike

Originally posted by Katarn07

It had 10 or 11 cells I think.

There was one floor to visit that wasn't necessary to even go to. There was a force field to deactivate, and 6 cells awaited you in a hallway with the same design as the one seen in ANH.

Then, there was a floor to go to, that had a big chasm filled with IM Mines. There were 2 bridges to cross, a cell awaited at the end of each.

Then there were either 4 or 5 cells in the High detention area. They should have made some bosses or unique enemies in the cells Crix wasn't in. Oh well, fun enough. That and level 3 were the hardest level for me to complete. :)

Oh yeah, I was forgetting about the first 6. 11 cells is still very little though.

Originally posted by txa1265

First, a request - Katarn07, I know you don't like JKII, but is there any reason to take pot shots at it in every post?

Sorry, I won't anymore in every post, BUT I feel that whole level quality in JO is what I don't like much. The most memorable levels are Yavin and Bespin... why? The textures and feel for the levels were much different then anything the other levels in JO had to offer. I'm not saying DF got repetetive ever, but had a lot more enviroments. LEC must have realized that mistake as JA has a lot more enviroments to offer than in JO.

Yes, 11 cells, but they weren't going for realism really, just a shooter...

Guest Novelle Tion

1. Imperial Weapons Research Facility- Fest

The segway from the craggy precipices into the hardened annuls of the research facility was both enthralling and convincing. The hollows of the facility provided for the most believable imperial atomsphere in the game, not for the direct references to the movies but rather the particality of the layout. Nearly everything- from the placement of turrets to the thick blast doors and garrison guarding the main entrance- was utilitarianly feasable for defense. I even remember narrow L-shapped stairways winding together near an entrance, a real-life architectual feature for defense along the lines of spiral staircases up towers in medieval times.

Also of note is the 'circular' nature of the level; I remember being amazed at how it all came together, looping you back to your starting destination.

There are a few other levels from DF which rank close behind Fest in my book, and that's definitely a testament to the high degree of excellence that game achieved.

Originally posted by Barry Brien

I forgot to meantion that one. Yes it's fantastic. A really good level. Only why do they keep the phrick on top of a spinning tower in a vat of sewage? Shouldn't it be in a lab or something?

Yeah ... that was the one I mentioned - the level was utterly unrealistic (even in the fantasy Star Wars world) but so much fun ...

Mike

Guest Novelle Tion
Originally posted by Barry Brien

Only why do they keep the phrick on top of a spinning tower in a vat of sewage? Shouldn't it be in a lab or something?

I always assumed this was for security purposes. As far as I could see the phrik could only be accessed physically by hitting all the switches up and around the central column, the access bridges to which were all guarded. Harmful sludge around the column could've made a good deterrent for would-be theives and a nasty reward for bumble-footed phrik snatchers.

And perhaps the column contained numberous scientific sensors which relayed data back to a place were imperial scientists could analyze it (perhaps even somewhere off planet).

Anyhow, that explanation is good enough for me.

Originally posted by Novelle Tion

Anyhow, that explanation is good enough for me.

It just goes to show you that the best levels are not necessarily the ones that are most realistic or reasonable ... there is a fun / challenge / strategy factor there too ...

Mike

It just goes to show you that the best levels are not necessarily the ones that are most realistic or reasonable ... there is a fun / challenge / strategy factor there too ...

Mike

I know you told me not to say anything about JO but I have to say they focused to much on realism over fun puzzles. It's a video game, and a Star Wars one at that!

I am sure if they considered video games as important as books and comics, the folks that fill in the holes of EU could come up with a good excuse for this :p

Guest Novelle Tion

Mike

I agree with you (my personal "best" level contains all of those things you mentioned) but I do not understand how this applies to that post of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard for me to pick a favourite - I liked most of DF's levels.

I suppose I could mention a few of the levels I liked least...

Ramses Hed - it just didn't feel much like being on a big ship.

Coruscant - just didn't feel right in terms of design. Maybe it's just me...

I really liked Gromas - and the ice planet. They always come to mind when I talk about DF - so I suppose those are the levels that made the greatest impact on me.

Definitely Jabba's Palace. It was the one that scared me the most. You were always on the run from something, and in the beginning without weapons, it added a whole thrill to everything.

I also liked Ramses Head just for the bathroom scene.....heh. I don't know how much time I spent jumping on the urinals.

Archived