Home

School is back!

Not that im excited or anything but I'm getting into highschool this year. this year im not gonna be prepped with all my school supplies because my damned mother always waits for the last minute to buy 'em! Now my question is, is the first day of higschool one of those first days where you need your school gear or just one of those first days in elementary where you can just listen to your teacher lecutre of the upcoming future? Also, how was your first day in highschool? Did anyone here have to go their first day without anything with them? Im a little worried... i mean A HELLOT.

Well, I don't remember my first day of high school at all, and I'm from the proud and noble police-state just south of you, so I dunno how much will apply, but I'm sure you'll do fine with a notebook (or a few loose leaves) and a pencil.

Originally posted by remixor

:eyeraise:

It might've just been my uni, or me personally, but everyone in the music dept seemed much too caught up in themselves to remember that this whole thing was about the students. I didn't go to a school with a good music dept, though, and my only experience with it was from a medium-to-long distance (intro/survey classes, lectures here and there, knowing music majors from band class). So, yeah.

And I'm still trying to figure out what the point of learning all that Bachian crap (SATB and friends) is, when following the rules doesn't get you anywhere *near* a decent sounding song.

And one guy tried to compare Ligeti's Lux Aeterna to a Buffett song (I thought it was called "Twelve Bar Song," but I can't find that on the net).

Originally posted by twifkak

It might've just been my uni, or me personally, but everyone in the music dept seemed much too caught up in themselves to remember that this whole thing was about the students. I didn't go to a school with a good music dept, though, and my only experience with it was from a medium-to-long distance (intro/survey classes, lectures here and there, knowing music majors from band class). So, yeah.

That's too bad :( I can't speak for the quality of music departments in general, but I'm at UC Berkeley (University of California at Berkeley), and I've not had that experience at all. After my first semester, all my professors knew my name (I can guarantee that doesn't happen in many majors), and they all seem genuinely interested in teaching the material. Not to mention, of my five music classes last semester, two had four people, two had eleven people, and one had thirty. It's really great for the student/teacher relationship.

Anyway, as I said, I'm only a sophomore, so what do I know. Nevertheless, my experience with the major so far has been nothing but excellent so far. *crosses fingers*

And I'm still trying to figure out what the point of learning all that Bachian crap (SATB and friends) is, when following the rules doesn't get you anywhere *near* a decent sounding song.

Yeah, I know. I asked my harmony teacher about this and he said is that it's kind of like in English where you have to learn to write those standard 5-paragraph essays. Nobody actually DOES it in the real world, but it's useful for teaching melodic relationships and harmonic rules, and just generally getting you comfortable with the way multiple voices work together. I'm really looking forward to counterpoint and advanced composition.

And one guy tried to compare Ligeti's Lux Aeterna to a Buffett song (I thought it was called "Twelve Bar Song," but I can't find that on the net). [/b]

No comment ;)

Originally posted by curacao

But didn't you do any music studies before? I just find it weird 'cause as far as I remember I had started counterpoint about Grade 5, when I was around 10 or 11. Oh, and it's nothing to look forward to. :D Although the later stuff is even worse ..

That's definitely Un-American. Children could, optionally pick up an instrument starting at grade five (trumpet or die :)), and there were "music" classes starting earlier (grade 2? 3?), but they didn't teach more than the major C scale, and how to play a recorder. In my highschool (ages 15-18, approx), there was an elective AP Music Theory class, though I don't know if that's offered at every high school. (AP is a designation for "college level," but, at least in this case, it was an exaggeration.)

i studied piano for 12 years and i don't think i know what counterpoint is. (okay, maybe i'd know it if i heard it!)

i envy all of you who are returning to college right now. i've been out of college for 3 years and it sucks. i think i am a student at heart (and my mess of an apartment proves it...)

-emily (off to write a 5 paragraph essay...)

Originally posted by fov

i studied piano for 12 years and i don't think i know what counterpoint is. (okay, maybe i'd know it if i heard it!)

i envy all of you who are returning to college right now. i've been out of college for 3 years and it sucks. i think i am a student at heart (and my mess of an apartment proves it...)

-emily (off to write a 5 paragraph essay...)

Well, since I'm such a giving person, you can just do my homework for me and that way you'd feel just like a student again. :p

So if I was American I could start studying to become a pro-musician at the moment - if I understood correctly. Strange. Most children who are into music in Finland start playing the piano between the ages of three and ten, because that's when your musical ear has any hope in developing. I have no possibilities in studying music anywhere at the moment. (I started playing the piano at the age of nine, but never studied any theory or other garbage.) But being an amateur has its advantages.

In any case, school started a month ago, and I find it extremely boring.

Well, it's pretty traditional for most musicians to start very young over here as well. I started playing piano over ten years ago, which definitely isn't as long as many of my fellow musicians here at school.

In the same sense that we can study a variety of subjects at a university (as I'm sure can you), we can study music. It's not necessarily for just becoming a pro musician. Many music majors go on to completely different fields. My goal, however, is to work in the music industry.

Hrm.. I think I was coming from a wind instrument perspective -- where they don't want you starting until you've got the chops, basically. Bowed instruments (violin, cello, etc.) start around 3rd or 4th grade, I think, and piano lessons can start at a very young age. Oddly, I don't recall any of my schools having piano classes or lessons or whatever. Piano lessons were all private affairs, and while the high school had a piano, it was only played by people who already knew how to play.

Counterpoint.. heh. College, if you major or minor in music.

Originally posted by remixor

In the same sense that we can study a variety of subjects at a university (as I'm sure can you), we can study music.

Nope: Nohing interesting at least. I believe that somehing like the history of music is the only option. If you want to study composition or somthing like that you have to be really good and study at a conservatry/Sibelius Academy. At least that's the view I got.

Archived