Home

Help Moneky Island 4 Models

myzinsky

Hi there,

I've found out a lot since yesterday.

I'm still not quite sure how the skeleton files are made up. I think I know where the bone data is stored but there are some more values I don't yet know.

I've found out more about the animation files (.animb).

They store keyframes which tell the positions of a bone at a specific time in the animation.

Each bone has its own keyframe-list. Also, I've encountered two types of keyframe-lists: One that store rotations (using quaternions) and one that stores transformations as a 3d vector.

I've also updated the mesh specs but they've grown to big to post everytime so I'll upload them when I'm at home.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I've found out most of the file specs (meshb, animb and sklb).

I'll put up the specs when I'm at home.

But I just can't get the skeleton to show correctly. It almost looks good but only almost.

There's probably something I'm missing.

If anyone who has experience in 3d stuff reads this please contact me to help if you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Great work, as always, Ben (john)! Which reminds me... Working on something at the moment, something very small, very tiny, and probably never to be finished, much less released. But if it does, may I use the formats you've figured out since I last roamed in the LEC community? (You might have guessed by now what it is) Thanks are given, of course, where thanks are due - and I'm devising a scheme to make it a bit more elaborate than the previous "thank you" lists I've done.

Oh, and may I use your real name, bg, in case you turn up in the thanks list too? :) Just need to gather permissions for something I'll never do anyway ;)

Oh, and if you (bg) have any idea where Murray is, ask him about the cgi-irc thingy. No way for me to get on IRC without it :)

- Serge

Ben: Thanks! :)

myz: Was ich gesagt habe hat nichts zu tun mit der "ripping" von Monkey Island 4 models. Ich benutzte nur diesen "Thread" weil ich wirklich nicht ein langes Thread anfangen will, das über ein Gerücht basiert ist. :)

Ich fragte nur ob ich john_doe's Code anwenden kann, wenn ich vielleicht ein projekt wieder aufnehme.

Excuse my poor German :) Needed to try and use that again...

Tomas: I'm pretty much a constant lurker here... Just never have anything useful to say since I'm not working on anything, and most people here know all that I know anyway, and can answer the questions asked better :)

Oh, and Tomas... If you have some contacts capable of setting up a cgi-irc script like the one Murray once had on some server, so that I can once again access IRC, I'd be eternally grateful.

- Serge

Originally posted by Serge

Oh, and Tomas... If you have some contacts capable of setting up a cgi-irc script like the one Murray once had on some server, so that I can once again access IRC, I'd be eternally grateful.

http://www.dikt.no

click chat on the left

then "Klikk her for å starte webchat! "

then.. advanced

then.. fill in the info :)

and then login ;)

Works fine... Although they only allow one server at a time, and I need to be on gamesnet and freenode at the same time, oh well :) Also feel a bit bad about misusing other peoples' cgi friendliness :)

Oh, ben (John), did I never send you those .3do specs I meant to send to you? Can't tell from the specs you've made - although I CAN tell that a lot is missing, it may be stuff my (almost complete) specs just got wrong. If I didn't, I might as well send them to you in case you ever start working on .3do again.

Can't post them here for various reasons that I won't go into :)

- Serge

That too, yes, khalek... Which would be better than the specs I made 2 years ago.

And which also reminds me to bow down in awe of the fantastic dedication of the ScummVM team :) Too bad that it's already NECESSARY to do a GrimE engine port. Not just for other platforms, but even for Windows :p

Long live LEC's support for "old" games...

- Serge

I haven't updated my specs as you might have guessed, they've been untouched for several years :)

And when I'm in the right mood I'll work on my tool again (mentioned somewhere above) and integrate support for 3do files and maybe (!) also make an exporter or even an importer (i.e. a converter).

But there's so much I want to do regarding "game resource viewers", I'm working on too much stuff :)

Tools for Toonstruck, Broken Sword 1+2, Discworld, Goblins 1-3(..) and a player for Sierra's VMD videos....

Originally posted by john_doe

I haven't updated my specs as you might have guessed, they've been untouched for several years :)

And when I'm in the right mood I'll work on my tool again (mentioned somewhere above) and integrate support for 3do files and maybe (!) also make an exporter or even an importer (i.e. a converter).

But there's so much I want to do regarding "game resource viewers", I'm working on too much stuff :)

Tools for Toonstruck, Broken Sword 1+2, Discworld, Goblins 1-3(..) and a player for Sierra's VMD videos....

Well for Broken Sword 2 you have the modified version of the original code in ScummVM CVS to look at, and any broken sword questions can probably be answered if need be as well :)

Might I suggest you talk to/collaborate with Mike Melanson regarding the VMD stuff? He is quite interested in all these game video formats as you'll see by poking around http://www.pcisys.net/~melanson/codecs/ or the game formats part of the mplayer sample ftp he maintains. He mentioned in one of his journal entries he has a bunch of VMD files from GK and maybe something else, can't remember now.

I know enough of most formats/resources of the games to actually display the sprites, for example.

The only thing I'm still missing is how the sprite codec called "RLE7" in Broken Sword 1 works. It's probably simple but I didn't look that deeply into it.

However, I've made a program for BS2 more than a year ago which displays the rooms or at least the background screen, I didn't know about the multiple layers then, and plays the sprite animations.

And I can play some of the VMD movies from GK2. However, some movies seem to be different than others and they crash my player. This is still quite new, I only started two weeks ago to make a new player. I have an old player I made several years ago and still runs in DOS :)

Still, compared to Smush/Insane the VMD format is a piece of cake. The hardest thing was to find out how the LZ decompression works (I had it disassembled, but my assembly knowledge is at a bare minimum).

Nuff nonsense for today, nag you later.

Originally posted by khalek

Might I suggest you talk to/collaborate with Mike Melanson regarding the VMD stuff? He is quite interested in all these game video formats as you'll see by poking around http://www.pcisys.net/~melanson/codecs/ or the game formats part of the mplayer sample ftp he maintains. He mentioned in one of his journal entries he has a bunch of VMD files from GK and maybe something else, can't remember now.

There is a brand new VMD player by Vladimir Gneushev. I've not tied it yet, but it sounds promising. Also, I know that's totally out of thread, however... :)

http://vagsoft.chat.ru/sci.html

Archived