Home

Help Moneky Island 4 Models

myzinsky

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by john_doe

The only thing I'm still missing is how the sprite codec called "RLE7" in Broken Sword 1 works.

Did khalek answer you on this?

RLE7 is standard 7bit run-length-encoding. No idea why they use the palette the way they do, this is just copied (into pseudo-code) from the original source:

while (comp_pos < compSize_in_header)

if bit > 127 OR bit = 0
 // Single pixel, so just copy
 uncompressed[pos] = bit;
 pos++; comp_pos++;
 bit = compressed[comp_pos]; 
else
// Color run
run_length = compressed[comp_pos];
color = compressed[comp_pos + 1];
comp_pos = comp_pos + 2;
for i = 0 to runlength
  uncompressed[pos + i] = color;
pos = pos + runlength + 1;

Originally posted by Ender

Did khalek answer you on this?

RLE7 is standard 7bit run-length-encoding. No idea why they use the palette the way they do, this is just copied (into pseudo-code) from the original source:

while (comp_pos < compSize_in_header)

if bit > 127 OR bit = 0
 // Single pixel, so just copy
 uncompressed[pos] = bit;
 pos++; comp_pos++;
 bit = compressed[comp_pos]; 
else
// Color run
run_length = compressed[comp_pos];
color = compressed[comp_pos + 1];
comp_pos = comp_pos + 2;
for i = 0 to runlength
  uncompressed[pos + i] = color;
pos = pos + runlength + 1;

yes I sent him an email about it a while back

• 5 months later...

I've worked on the EMI skeletons again, and found out the routine that converts quaternions to angle/axis was kinda different :) So I replaced it with another routine and now the skeleton almost looks right.

Still, some joints seem to be rotated at a wrong angle, e.g. the legs and fingers don't seem to be where they should be, where other joints seem to be at the right place (a lot of seem there :)).

Does anyone know if this might be caused by the fact that I convert the quaternion rotation to angle/axis and there's a "gimbal lock" so the joint doesn't rotate how it should?

Currently, I go though each joint, calculate the rotation/translation matrix, and if the joint has a parent, I add the parent's matrix to the current one.

Or maybe I shouldn't add the matrices but instead add the quaternion rotations and translations, and only calc the matrix when the joint is drawn?

Finally! I did it!

The skeletons show how they should! After hours reading tutorials and FAQs about matrix/vector stuff.

Turns out it was the rotation that didn't always work as it should have.

Well, now I can implement animations. I hope this will not take my head as close to exploding as the skeleton stuff (but I'm afaraid it will).

Wow!! Well done John_Doe!! to think we might be able to improve on the characters (maybe add those "extra" frames of animation from the PS2 version ;)) and generally muck around with MI4 one day.

I've LOVE to be able to mess around with Manny and Co though, I've always wanted to increase the resolution of his skeletal head texture and give him "proper" hands. Also maybe fix Max's (?) cigar.

There's already people doing this for other games, check out the System Shock 2: Rebirth mod... replacement high-polygon models for the ingame characters... very cool!

Great stuff! Bloody well done!

Thunderpeel: On a sidenote, Jake and I once tried making high-res textures for grim. It didnt work, Grim didnt like having bigger textures and didnt scale em down, I might still have a screenshot of it somewhere.

Another update:

Now I can play almost all the animations (one I tested didn't work correctly, i.e. the vertices were kinda..weird).

Now I need to calc the correct vertex normals (for shadows/lighting) and there's another problem with unicolored textures. They're not lighted correctly and I still need to find out if it's normal in OpenGL or if I missed some settings.

If everything goes well I'll release the new version towards the end of the week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived