Home

THE DEMO release (rumor)

GonkH8er

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a level that shows off what the engine can do, without spoiling the SP campaign (ie: how the JK2 demo was done).

It would be nice if an MP map was included, but again, it should be something that the full version builds upon (ie: how the UT demo was done).

It should be cool, but make one want to get the full game...

I would personally like to see a few things in the demo.

1. An SP mission, not featured in the actual game, ala, the Jedi Outcast demo.

2. An example of some of the new mutiplayer maps. Maybe one fully working multiplayer map. It should probably be a Free For All. Because I'd rather wait till I get the actual game to see the new muliplayer game modes, and it would add to the build up.

and 3. A small example of the customization options. So I can basically check out their new player skins and models, just in case I wanna put my own skins in the game. I can already tell you that I will not be using 'THEIR' Kyle Katarn model and skin. hahaha

That would please me to no end.

I am definitely hopeful for the Demo showing some SP and MP (for you MP guys ;) ), but I really want the demo to have inherent value. I still have the JKII demo on my system, and kick through it now and then. JK & MotS? Gone as soon as the game was installed.

I also think FFA would be good - but Siege would be nice, as it would entice some of the general MP community to try it out, like SoFII demo did.

Maybe this is why they were Gold four weeks before release ?!?!?

Mike

Originally posted by Kurgan

I'd like to see a level that shows off what the engine can do, without spoiling the SP campaign (ie: how the JK2 demo was done).

It would be nice if an MP map was included, but again, it should be something that the full version builds upon (ie: how the UT demo was done).

It should be cool, but make one want to get the full game...

I wholeheartedly agree. The demo for JO was actually worth keeping, as was the 'Uplink' demo for Half-Life, because they were both 'outside' of the actual final game's story. Like Mike said...I deleted the JK demo as soon as I got the full game, and I knew that level like the back of my hand when I played the full game. So I certainly hope they've simply made a level to showcase the engine and style of play again.

An MP map would be nice...but not essential for me. That's not to say I don't want to see what MP is like (especially Siege), but I think I'd also rather wait for the full game to try out the new modes and maps.

And Mike...that's an interesting notion about the delay after it went Gold. Having a demo waiting in the wings as the game is released would seem like a smart move...and a few weeks would seem like a good timescale to put together a short demo.

Originally posted by StormHammer

And Mike...that's an interesting notion about the delay after it went Gold. Having a demo waiting in the wings as the game is released would seem like a smart move...and a few weeks would seem like a good timescale to put together a short demo.

It's a thought ... but I actually don't believe it to be true. I tend to think it was more likely a mismatch of schedules. But it matters not, hmm ... ?

I don't care if it has MP or not either, but I know that if it has a SP level from the game I'll avoid it like the plague. As you said for JK & MotS, same goes for SoFII and other games where you get to play a level from the actual game - when you hit it in the real play-through you slice through it like melted butter because (if you liked it) you've already played it more than once and know it by heart and always pause to reload at the right times and take out enemies easily and so on.

One other thought - what do you think of the idea of them moving up the demo release from post-launch to near launch in order to stem some of these 'I use it as a demo' rationalizing pirates? It won't stop piracy, but I mean, if the games gold, the demo is almost ready ... and they can stop some of that idiocy, why not?

Mike

I agree that the level should be different than what is in the actual game, like the JO demo. Like Mike, I won't play it if it does. It should give you ample chances to try out the lightsaber, to get the feel of how the game will play. I don't think it should have any MP elements, because without actually playing other people, it would be kind of pointless. I don't want to see any MP maps before the full game comes out anyway.

I agree with some of you here. If it has an actual level from SP i'm staying clear of it. And I really don't care about the MP maps demo wise.

I don't mind a demo just showing off the single blade and some stormies. That way I can make sure my comp is good to go ( im sure it is...but you know), and i'm all set.

Originally posted by boinga1

Just curious...what makes you think it'll be pre-release? They say "in the coming weeks". JA comes out in less than three weeks. "The coming weeks" could well be the end of September. That's what I first thought it meant, actually.

JA will be released on September 17th which is still over 3 weeks away. I can tell you that they will release the demo before that day. :)

Vis

Originally posted by Visac

JA will be released on September 17th which is still over 3 weeks away. I can tell you that they will release the demo before that day. :)

Vis

You say this based on inside sources or on your own instincts? Forgive me for being the pessimist, but releasing a demp before the game is not at all the traditional way of Lucasarts.

You say this based on inside sources or on your own instincts? Forgive me for being the pessimist, but releasing a demp before the game is not at all the traditional way of Lucasarts.

sadly i agree, i really wont to play it before 17th, well, legaly, but i dont see this hapining unless you give me proof

I remember downloading the demos for both Battle for Naboo and Galactic Battlegrounds before those games were shipped. In fact, Lucasarts released the Battlegrounds demo a couple months before the game even went gold, if my memory serves me correctly.

The JK demo came out shortly before the full game, so maybe it will here as well.

It doesn't matter so much if it's before, at release, or shortly after. Just not months later when people who were considering the game loose interest.

That's what I heard from "inside" sources. But that's not a big surprise I think. As some already said here in this thread they released the last couple demos before the actual release of the full game, so why not the JA demo either?

The release of the full title is almost 4 weeks away and their website speaks of "coming weeks". To me that means everything from 1 to 4 weeks, not more. You see where I am coming from?

Of course that also could be marketing language for 10 weeks

;)

Vis

Well, regardless of when the demo is released, I will probably not be playing it until it appears on a PC Mag cover disk. I had to wait for the JO demo to do precisely that, because the download is just too large for my 56k connection to handle... :(

Suffice to say, I will definitely be playing the full game before I can get my hands on the demo. But that's not really an issue for me, because I have a gut-feeling I'm going to really like JA anyway. :)

Originally posted by Qui-Zan

the JO demo was around 170-190 MB, i downloaded that. Sure it took me a whole night and next day uptil 3PM but i still got it. i'll download it as soon they release it.

unless of course, the game is out.

Actually the JKII demo was fairly small by current standards - only ~66MB. Nonetheless, for a 56k line that would be an excruciating experience ...

My only interest in the demo is if it contains unique content.

Mike

Archived