Home

MI1 & 2 then 3

yes i just re-done one and really loved it

2 isn't quite as good so far i'm half way through it i think

3 wasn't that long ago i played it...so i know i like it but ima do that one again too

number 4 i don't even feel like doing again

any fav moments from each episode?

Monkey Island 2 is full of memorable moments you can play again and again - not just funny moments, but dramatic moments too! I don't want to spoil anything, but keep playing it - I think you'll find some good stuff nearer the end. I particularly like the bit where

you find the voodoo key hanging on a hook in LeChuck's fortress, just asking to be taken... of course, it's not that simple!

These are a few of my favorite things *sorta*

MI 1 - I enjoyed every last bit of this game, from when you first start out on Melee Island, to the first time you open the door to the SCUMM bar, to when you go to the Governor's house, to...well from top to bottom it's a classic, and one of my favorite adventures of all time.

MI 2 - Same deal, although I know a lot of people disliked the ending of this game. Personally, I enjoyed it, and I long for the day when Ron Gilbert fully explains it to us, and stops playing headgames. That, is wishful thinking however.

CMI - It was comic relief. Now, I don't mean this in a bad way or a patronizing way. CMI was an excellent, EXCELLENT adventure game in it's own right. It wasn't however Monkey Island 3. It never will be Monkey Island 3, simply because the plot was kept so underwraps by Gilbert, even the people who worked on the first two games didn't know everything he had in store. However, I too have recently completed CMI and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it the second time round (moreso than the first). The excellent thing about CMI was that it still managed to appeal to the hardcore Monkey Island fans, even though it was not a true sequal.

To sum it up, I'm a BIG CMI fan, but I will never say it is Monkey Island 3!

Right now, I'm playing through Grim Fandango again, and then I intend to go through EMI once again.

It's funny, in many ways I feel I am appreciating these games more now that I am playing through them once again...:).

I'm still eagerly awaiting my copy of Sanitarium to come in the post, I have never played this game (it was almost impossible to come by over here in the UK).

Don't even get me started on Runaway...LOL

I agree with SamandMax for exactly the same reasons. The atmosphere in MI2 was perfect. CMI was a great game but it really didn't fit in with the established atmosphere (I'm not even going to get into the plot issues) and look of the first two games. Obviously I that beyond resolution and color depth; CMI was a much goofier-looking game than MI1+2, which contained many anachronistic elements but which were accurately proportioned and much more realistically drawn (you sure wouldn't have found those close-up head shots in CMI). CMI on the other hand had MANY fewer such anachronisms but was a very cartoonish game. This isn't a bad thing; it's a good game for different reasons than the first two.

EMI I've not played all the way though. I'm not in any particular hurry, though.

Just like DustCropper, I played CMI first and didn't even know there was a game series called Monkey Island before that.

I liked CMI very much (and still do), but my favorite game in the series is still MI 2, and I liked the ending btw. I liked MI 1 almost as much as MI 2, but EMI is the only game in the series that I don't really like at all.

Originally posted by remixor

Obviously I that beyond resolution and color depth; CMI was a much goofier-looking game than MI1+2, which contained many anachronistic elements but which were accurately proportioned and much more realistically drawn (you sure wouldn't have found those close-up head shots in CMI).

Although, for the record, Dave Grossman (I think it was Dave) has said that they would've originally wanted the games to have a sort of a storybook feeling to them but the technology at that time wasn't adequate to accomplish it. One might thus argue whether CMI departed from the Monkey Island tradition graphics-wise, or actually finally took it where it belonged.

Fair enough; I wouldn't interpret CMI as being necessarily indicative of a "storybook" style. When I think of a storybook, I honestly think more of MI2-style art, just in obviously higher resolution. CMI to me is more looks more like an animated humorous film (nothing wrong with that though).

Ok, ok, I'll concede that the final look of MI1/2 was not their initial intent. However, that really doesn't change anything of the opinions I hold about the graphic styles (and differences between styles) of the MI games. It is a fairly common occurance in game development for games to take on aspects or end up somehow differently from their original concepts. It looks like this certainly happened with MI, but I maintain that CMI achieving something similar to the style they originally wanted still radically changed the atmosphere of the series, since MI1/2 looked a certain way when they shipped regardless of intent. Now, which is better is of course completely subjective. In the end I have to go with MI2 for my favorite-looking MI game, but of course I don't claim authority on the matter. To each his own, eh?

What Marek said.

Originally posted by remixor

Now, which is better is of course completely subjective. In the end I have to go with MI2 for my favorite-looking MI game, but of course I don't claim authority on the matter. To each his own, eh?

Definitely. :) I, too, quite enjoy the looks of the first two games and especially LeChuck's Revenge, mostly due to the nostalgia factor. Having said that, I also very much liked the way CMI looked and felt. You can't really compare Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, either, yet I'm still to meet a person who disliked DOTT graphics. The first one to report will win a virtual bottle of champagne and loads of teflon-coated panning from other forum members.

Even though the style is different from MI1 and 2, CMI's graphics still succeeded in capturing that Monkey-Island atmosphere. EMI failed there, IMHO.

Also, the backgrounds in MI1 and 2 are also cartoony if you look closely. The characters aren't, but that's because they're too small in the 320x240 resolution.

EMI's art style however failed miserably. (And no that's not because it's 3D

I know. It's probably because of the wrong colours. They used a wide variety of bright happy rainbow colours (just look at the various houses) whereas CMI used more fitting colours. They also forgot to add enough detail and they reused certain 3D models too often. (e.g: in the forest, pretty much every palm tree is the same model in the same size.)

--Erwin

Originally posted by Swordmaster

Although, for the record, Dave Grossman (I think it was Dave) has said that they would've originally wanted the games to have a sort of a storybook feeling to them but the technology at that time wasn't adequate to accomplish it. One might thus argue whether CMI departed from the Monkey Island tradition graphics-wise, or actually finally took it where it belonged.

While we're going down that path, I might as well toss in that Tim Schafer once said to Spaff and I (in paraphrased form since I've forgotten the actual quote) that the CMI designers in some ways did the whole Monkey Island thing better than they did. He was referring to both the storybook look, and the Disneyland parallels (he cited specifically the opening cutscene with the fort and the pirate ship). Of course I don't think either he or Ron Gilbert were pleased with Guybrush and Elaine marryin, but thats another issue.

Atmosphere wise, though it has a different visual style, I think CMI meshes very very well with Monkey 2. Walking through the cemetary on Blood Island for instance... what other game could that be besides a Monkey Island game?

Archived