Home

BS3 boxart: part deux

That is an ugly box I must say. I don't understand why they haven't used some of the ideas the fans had at Brokensword3.net; there were some very nice designs there.

But I suppose THQ are trying to design a box that'll really stand out, unfortunately this one for all the wrong reasons :D

Ok I take it back that it's ugly, it just doesn't show you what you're getting. I'm sure people will pick it up and be interested, and a good blurb with some choice actiony screenshots will probably sell the game. Not sure if thats the best way to sell the game but what do I know.

Anyway, just so everyone knows we're only whining because we all want this game to do really well for the sakes of adventure and revolution (and a sequel... or ten). :) I wouldn't care if it were wrapped in a dirty brown paper bag with an old tea bag and an apple core, I'd personally still buy the game (well ok probably not; unless the teabags good for another cuppa)

Urg. For a sec I wondered if it was bad that I hadn't seen the BS3 box until now... but yeeeesh. For a game with so much really classy original style, it's sort of amazing to see a cheezy fake-noir photoshop filtery looking box going out as the final one. :((( Hopefully they'll release it in a DVD jacket so someone can make a fake sleeve to print out.

:¬:

Well TheAdventureCompany have released their box, which one do you prefer?

product_page_box.jpgcoversmall.jpg

Honestly I prefer the THQ one, it looks interestering and I think using ingame graphics on an adventure title doesn't work very well.

The THQ one is artistic, I love the outlines of the castle, horse, people and paris. The only real bad bit is Nico, she looks like she has come from The league of gentlemen. Otherwise I think it's quite cool now.

The AdventureCompany one seems a bit too canny.

The TAC version is a lot better. It gives more of a sense of adventure and mystery, but sadly more in the Indiana Jones sense than in the "a journalist and a lawyer roam around sunny Paris" image I have of Broken Sword.

TAC is usually very good at creating interesting box art. I think the box art for Forever Worlds, for example, is very succesful: http://www.adventurecompanygames.com/forever_worlds/media/product_page_box.jpg

The BS3 box is quite acceptable, but still could have been better.

Originally posted by Marek

The THQ box somehow gives me the feeling of a romantic drama set against the background of WW2. :¬: Don't ask me why.

Maybe due to a certain Ben Affleck movie.

003_PEARL_HARBOR_WAR.jpg

I don't like the adventure company one at all, it looks quite amateur. The space on a game box is limited, it seems a waste to shrink the characters down so, stick them right in the middle and remove all trace of characterisation. There is entirely too much writing for a cover too, perhaps it would work better as the inside image on those flip case boxes.

It lacks personality.

People relate to a face so much more, why do you think the layout is so frequently used in movie posters? Rarely do you see movie posters that present the major characters so diminutively.

I don't see how you can think the close up of their faces will attract the wrong type of gamer? Is there a wrong type?

Originally posted by theneb

...which one do you prefer?

product_page_box.jpgcoversmall.jpg

They're both weak and inconsistent with the actual style and atmosphere of the game itself. I don't like either of them in terms of how they're presenting the product. If I knew nothing about how the game actually looks and acts, and I saw either of these box covers on the store shelf, I would naturally think that the game was done in the classical, realistic style static 2D background, which it obviously is not. They offer no indications that that BS3 is the innovative, 'next generation' adventure game that it's supposed to be (i.e., based on Charles Cecil's statements). In other words, these two choices are far too conservative and old school to convey the progressiveness of the new Broken Sword game - they're too boring and static to communicate the game as a new, highly dynamic experience for the player.

Archived