Home

BS3 boxart: part deux

Wow, those boxarts are both ugly. :bored:

EDIT: To elaborate on the THQ boxart, Nico looks like a drug addict (The white grain on her nose and lips...) and George looks like a bum. Seriously.

The TAC boxart is typical American boxart style, though. Both heroes in an 'actiony' pose in the center of the image.

The THQ boxart is definitely the better of the two, but it still isn't very good, in my opinion.

Oh... anyone have the BS3 European logo? Seems like the American and European version will have them in different color and font, so I was wondering.

ugh that boxart doesnt get any prettier with time :(

The Adventure Company one makes it look like some crap budget release written on a shoestring .. The THQ one is just ugly. There is no other way to describe it. I mean what the hell is going on with nico's nostrils!!! It doesnt suit the style of the game, it doesnt stand out and it doesnt look very nice at all.

Why are they still calling the series 'Broken Sword'?

Now, I know that they need it to be identifiable to a certain batch of people who have played the original games. I am also aware that there are some people out there who are not as fortunate as you or I and they don't have an internet connection, and therefore if there was a name change, as far as they were concerned it would be some lame title (with sh***y box art) that isn't worth time or day.

However, going back to my original point, the previous story has nothing to do with a Broken Sword, and as best I can tell, neither does this one. The Broken Sword, without giving too much away for those who haven't played the original, was the main plot element for the Circle of Blood, Shadow of the Templars, whatever you want to call it!

Maybe I'm just being picky, and I haven't got a clue what would sell and what wouldn't (that's why I'm not in marketing). I understand how limited the adventure game market is at present, and it's necessary for people to be able to identify with a product, so they can justify the purchase. However, it's been a nagging complaint with me since the second one was released and they announced the title for the third game.

Why don't they call it, I dunno, George Stobbart and The Sleeping Dragon, or The Adventures of a man and woman who must seemingly be millionaires as they can afford to buy tickets to places all over the World, and don't give money a second thought! Maybe they're not as catchy, but bearing in mind, I'm working off the top of my head here (these guys spend hours dredging up names for their products).

Who knows, maybe we'll all be surprised, and all of the game's stories will tie in at the end, prompting the reason for keeping Broken Sword in the title!

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. Keeping on topic, I think that box art is ugly, and certainly ranks up there with some of the most vile art I've seen for a game. If I wasn't a fan of the games, and I didn't know how promising this title is going to be for our community, I wouldn't give the game a second glance. Simple as...

RM00339_box.jpg

Right, well this one is far more in keeping with the game's modern, progressive look. There may not be any figurative and/or visually narrative references to the main characters or even the story, but it at least gets the point across that this isn't your mother's Broken Sword anymore.

Originally posted by RayfnWillmott

Now, I know that they need it to be identifiable to a certain batch of people who have played the original games. I am also aware that there are some people out there who are not as fortunate as you or I and they don't have an internet connection, and therefore if there was a name change, as far as they were concerned it would be some lame title (with sh***y box art) that isn't worth time or day.

However, going back to my original point, the previous story has nothing to do with a Broken Sword, and as best I can tell, neither does this one. The Broken Sword, without giving too much away for those who haven't played the original, was the main plot element for the Circle of Blood, Shadow of the Templars, whatever you want to call it!

Maybe I'm just being picky, and I haven't got a clue what would sell and what wouldn't (that's why I'm not in marketing). I understand how limited the adventure game market is at present, and it's necessary for people to be able to identify with a product, so they can justify the purchase. However, it's been a nagging complaint with me since the second one was released and they announced the title for the third game.

Why don't they call it, I dunno, George Stobbart and The Sleeping Dragon, or The Adventures of a man and woman who must seemingly be millionaires as they can afford to buy tickets to places all over the World, and don't give money a second thought! Maybe they're not as catchy, but bearing in mind, I'm working off the top of my head here (these guys spend hours dredging up names for their products).

Who knows, maybe we'll all be surprised, and all of the game's stories will tie in at the end, prompting the reason for keeping Broken Sword in the title!

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. Keeping on topic, I think that box art is ugly, and certainly ranks up there with some of the most vile art I've seen for a game. If I wasn't a fan of the games, and I didn't know how promising this title is going to be for our community, I wouldn't give the game a second glance. Simple as...

I'm gonna have to correct you unfortuanly, in the first bs that wasn't actually the Broken Sword, apparently it's gonna be revealed in the sleeping dragon according to Charles.

I think the basic point is that the Sword de Baphomet in the original was an icon, and is regually refered as them worshipping the icon. But we'll see what it really is.

Originally posted by RayfnWillmott

Well, using the name of the original title for the sequels is done all the time in various industries, as you probably know. It's simply because the name has become an established franchise. What I'm most pissed about is that the game isn't officially labeled as 'Broken Sword III', just 'Broken Sword: Random Subtitle'. Why not the number? Why still even use the name if you don't clearly show that it's a continuing series? Did the marketing dudes think that marking a game as a third in the series would scare away customers, even when the previous two are nowhere to be found on the shelves in stores now at days? Stupid, stupid, stupid, it does nothing but present a huge paradox.

I would have wanted the boxart to depict something else than the game's heroes: The supposed dragon, perhaps? Or something connected to it? The previous games had boxart relevant to their storylines (Shadow of the Templars had the Knights Templar insignia, The Smoking Mirror had a mask... heck, even the Americanized Circle of Blood boxart still looked relevant to the game's plot)

So much wrong here.

Not putting the III doesn't in any way present a paradox. I think it's a good thing they dorpped the number from the title.

Look at how the games were released in the U.S. A number would only add confusion to The Sleeping Dragon:

Circle of Blood

Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror

Broken Sword III

Huurh? I know that the games have gone by a few different names in other countries, but the U.S. is a big market and I think the best thing Revolution (or the marketing team or whoever) could do is to call it Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. That way, it is instantly familiar to the Broken Sword fans who already KNOW there have been two previous games, and it doesn't confuse people who have never even heard of the FIRST Broken Sword game! Remember, there WAS no Broken Sword I (or II for that matter) in this country, only Circle of Blood and Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror.

Obviously that rationale is specific to the US, but this sort of thing is pretty common. Look at Metal Gear Solid. That game could have been called Metal Gear 3, right (unless I'm forgetting a game)? But it had been so long since the previous game--just as it'll be over six years since the previous BS game--that it made sense just to retain the franchise name without attaching a number. Same goes for Metroid. Metroid Prime wasn't a direct connection to the Metroid storyline, but Metroid Fusion was. They didn't call it Metroid 4: Fusion, since Super Metroid was so long ago. They did indicate that it was the fourth in the series in the game's introduction, but it is not mentioned anywhere on the box.

Anyway, I think the way the have it is fine :p

Remember, there WAS no Broken Sword I (or II for that matter) in this country, only Circle of Blood and Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror.

Right, that much is true. But still why not label the game in Europe (That faraway mixed-up soup of endlessly-warring countries that can't agree on anything) as Broken Sword III? Was that too difficult?

Metal Gear Solid was given the 'Solid' title not only because it was so long ago since the original games, but because it wasn't really a familiar name in the U.S., and only to a select few in Europe. They were published on the MSX platform, whereas all the Broken Sword games have been published on PC (As well as other gaming platforms), so your comparison isn't a very good one.

Metroid Fusion is actually clearly called Metroid 4 when you boot up the game, but you're right that they didn't put the number on the box.

EDIT: Look, what I'm saying is that they used a number for the sequel, so why not for the next one? Could you imagine LucasFilm using 'Episode I' and 'Episode II' for their Star Wars films and then just dropping the whole Episode for the last film? That's sorta what I'm talking about here. It's plain stupid.

(for their Star Wars films was missing... sorry for any confusion, although I would doubt there was)

I'm gonna have to correct you unfortuanly, in the first bs that wasn't actually the Broken Sword, apparently it's gonna be revealed in the sleeping dragon according to Charles.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It just seemed odd to keep the name you know? Like for example with Tex Murphy games, they used his name and then created a standalone title.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Revolution have in store for us.

Let's just hope that Box Art isn't an indication of things to come...:)

I think TAC boxart is really great. Well, the actual artwork is pretty nice. The gold reflection text at the top though ... whoa. Maybe they're going for some sort of retro thing (doubtful), but I'll be damned if that exact same logo treatment wasn't used in a zillion budget text/graphic adventure hybrids (and various paint programs) for the Apple II. Yeeeesh. The actual illustration is nice, though. I wonder why they decided to have such a low quality crap shiny gold logo? :( Something more or less straight white, and kinda big up there would be nice (like, stealing the logo treatment from this box would have been sly).

Gotta get peoples attention. Neither of the boxes do that very well :( TAC's box is more on the right track as far as "interesting" and "not crap" goes, but that gold at the top makes me want to throw it away (or preserve it forever in nerdish packrat delight because I've mistaken it for an 80s collectible).

Originally posted by deadworm222

I hope they are going to do something about it...

i just hope...:rolleyes:

why don't they stick to THIS?

RM00339_box.jpg

It's perfect

-------------------

also it would be great not to use those DVD-boxes...i hope they use small boxes like Syberia and Neverwinter Nights :(

Lets have a BS3 boxart competition!

p.s.

I'm sorry but THIS is what they should stick with. Nice:

B0000A3442.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

EDIT: Maybe a Sillouette of paris could go into that black space above the logo.

(lol btw I DID NOT make this image; it's from Amazon.com and a link to it was posted earlier in the thread :D)

That truly looks great, but somehow I know that the box that the will sell in Finland will be a crappy dvd box featuring something like the earlier designs...

Oh man, if that is what they'll sell in USA, I'm going to import my copy from there.

Archived