Home

No PunkBuster support in JA

txa1265

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

Well for cheating in JA, perhaps raven found something for certain moves sc ripts and disabled them

Punkbuster might sound cool, but it lags and in ET i see people get kicked for changing their name 2 times because the first time failed...

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

SCRIPTS ARE NOT CHEATS

I remember a hacker I played against. He had some cheat that made the damage he made double.

Someone even caught him, but he wasn't an admin, but the admin who is my friend, kicked that cheater.

He used something called ''Double Damage'' or something. He touched me with saber and I lost like 70 hp at once, and he never died, I even did the red special attack at him and hit him, he still ''survived''

I have never seen cheating in JK2. I have seen spamming and skill, but nothing of the sort that would be considered "cheating."

PunkBuster causes lag. I play a lot of ET, and at least that is my experience with PunkBuster. Every few seconds my connection will slightly slow. It is insane.

There is no need for PunkBuster in JA. MP will be fine without it.

I remember a hacker I played against. He had some cheat that made the damage he made double.

Someone even caught him, but he wasn't an admin, but the admin who is my friend, kicked that cheater.

He used something called ''Double Damage'' or something. He touched me with saber and I lost like 70 hp at once, and he never died, I even did the red special attack at him and hit him, he still ''survived''

Interesting. There are console commands to make damage higher, but they are supposed to apply to everyone on the server.

Was this on a "Pure" server?

Originally posted by Master William

the red dfa does not always kill, if the person knows how to counter it.

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

So you wouldn't mind me using lunge/kick/whatever scripts against you?

go for it. there's a lot more to beating someone than using a script.

if i was beaten by someone who *only used scripts, but didn't know jack about the combat, i would quit the game immediately.

it is all a matter of setting them up and getting them to strike first before you open a can on them. the sad fact is, the PLAYER makes the script, not the script makes the player (in other words, a script doesn't make you a better player, but it can be a tool to use. you can have an awesome script but it doesn't mean jack **** if you are a ****ty player.)

so yeah, i'd actually ENJOY it *more if you scripted your brains out and fought me. it would make you easier to beat.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Agreed about scripting. It just ultimately makes people lazy, and it can't substitute for real skill.

And apparent survival of lethal damage could also be related to lag....

I've spoken with a number of players who beleive that 'scripting' is an exploit - but it's actually a time honored tradition in Q3 FPS games, even in Quake and Quake2!

Scripting doesn't help - I wrote some cool scripts, but they wound up being useless because I lack saber-skillz.

I'm still amazed that raven didn't cap cg_fov, as I was able to write a set of scripts that zoomed in and out (basically like a scope) with any weapon - several guns were very accurate, so this could be useful (except that JO guns were like getting bitten by a mosquito). They capped cg_fov in SOF2, so they probably will in JA.

Originally posted by Wudan

I've spoken with a number of players who beleive that 'scripting' is an exploit - but it's actually a time honored tradition in Q3 FPS games, even in Quake and Quake2!

precisely. i've been playing FPS's since Wolf 3d, and i loved quakes 1-3. anybody who has seriously played in games like that have absolutely 0 problem with scripts.

A few things...

-Did JK2 support Punkbuster? If so, did anyone actually use it?

-To use Punkbuster, do clients have to download and install it as well as the admins? (ie: does this mean people without PB can't join PB servers?)

-Doesn't it cost the game company money to "liscense" use of PB in their servers?

-Does PB itself cost money? (ie: is it shareware?)

The other thing is people complaining that PB lags stuff or kicks people for silly reasons (like changing their name or skin too often).

I think that JA needs a KeyServer feature more than it needs PB. I never ever witnessed any cheating in JK2 online... not on pure servers anyway.

Archived