Home

No hitbox in MP? (not a saber thread!)

csorrows

Ok, before I rant, a couple things:

1. I'm talking about multiplayer, not the singleplayer game (which I don't care about).

2. I'm a gunner, not a saberist. Please, no flames about how I should go play Q3 or something. I loved JK2, but I was a gunner - only used the saber for occasional defense. I don't go to saber servers and gun people down, I go to guns servers and play with guns.

Okay, now that that's outta the way...

What's up with the hitbox (or lack of it) in JKA? Somebody told me that JKA doesn't have a hitbox - you have to actually hit the player model.

Is this true? If so, then I guess everybody will be running around with the repeater on secondary fire, because the pistol, blaster, Golan, etc, will miss almost most of the time. Sure, you should have to be accurate with guns to make kills, but with no hitbox, I think they went a bit overboard. Everybody will be running around with splash damage weapons if there's no more hitbox.

Anybody have any info on this?

I'm glad someone else has noticed this. Currently it is near-on impossible to get hits with the non-splash damage weapons. It might be okay if the detection wasn't so inaccurate.. but I've seen the Golan secondary fire more often than not go straight through the player model. Removing hit-boxes imo was not a good idea.

I'm sure someone will chime in with, "Learn to aim better", or some similar comment, but at the moment this system of having to actually hit the model, instead of a hitbox, is making some weapons absolutely useless. A system like this might work if everyone played with near 0 ping.. but let's face it, how many LAN events will there be for jka? lol.

From my view this is another example of, *don't 'fix' what works*, was there some severe problem with the jk2 hitboxes? I certainly didn't notice one.. what was the need to bring in this new hit detection system, where the actual 'detection' of hits leaves a lot to be desired.

Guns is still enjoyable, despite this, but.. it's certainly frustrating to see shot after shot just pass through the model and no damage get's inflicted. :(

On Siege I happened to snipe a few stationary target on cannons with the dl-44.

I've hit and killed moving targets with the DL-44, E-11, Tenloss and the repeater at several distances.

Sure it's harder, but not anywhere near impossible... plus saberists have a hard time coping with splash damage unless they use push and have the reflexes to use it(they most often do)... yeah it's hard still, buit not impossible.

I am only exaggerating when I say it's impossible.. :rolleyes:

But seriously here's an example... in jk2 the Bryar pistol used to be an *awesome* weapon if you were a good player, it's jka equivalent however is now completely worthless due to the new hit detection. All of the energy weapons are now being dominated by the splash damage weapons, which is sad in my opinion.

This type of game doesn't at all suit such an accurate hit system, in my opinion. The more quake'ish style of hit's was great for jk2 and I don't see why they changed it so dramatically for jka really.

I noticed something when playing the singleplayer, mainly when using the disruptor to kill those damned robotic troopers from a distance.

In JK2 I could always use a partial zoom and if my aim was good enough (usually was ;)) a fully charged shot would dispatch the enemy. In JA a partial zoom seems to just go straight through the torso of the enemy without actually hitting them (ie my aim was good enough, to hit the enemy, but nothing happened). The only way I had any success was with a full zoom at full charge.

This is a real problem for me because I prefer the quick-attack approach to sniping rather than finding a spot to camp and spend ages waiting for the perfect shot.

I know exactly what you mean Det, and, I'm not certain, but I'm fairly sure the exact same thing happened to me in mp.. didn't want to waste time with a fullzoom, so scoped and fired as quick as possible on someone who was stationary, I'm 99.9% certain that the crosshair was centered on them.. but they didn't get hit. Perhaps I'll try this out again later.

Archived