Home

Is anyone using a 56k Modem for SWG?

Lord Haine

Hey everyone.

I really want to get this game with my new pc which specs will be:

3.06GHz Pentium 4 with HT and 800MHz FSB

512MB of DDR RAM

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128

But there is one big problem, where i live Broadband or ADSL etc is not available at the present time but apperently it may be available in the future... ¬.¬ according to BTs site... Anyway,

I only have a 56kbps modem with a 31.2kbps Freeserve Anytime connection, will i be able to run SWG using this connection? Or should i get KOTOR and wait untill broadband becomes available?

Please reply if you have a 56kbps modem or/and using a 31.2kbps connection.

Thanks everyone

I play with Dial Up, and just like seadonkey78 said, the patches take too long to download and when a new planet or locations is loading it take a little bit to do it.

My normal ping is around 300 and it's not so bad when you think about it over and over and over and over again ;P

just don't open any other thing that needs the internet connection, or your ping will increase to something like 8000...

Guest DarthMaulUK

Before I moved flat, I have telewest broadband (live in the UK) for almost 3 years. Loved it.

I've moved to a new flat, no telewest, so i had to get a BT phone line but I cant face using BT broadband as it is pants!

Anyway, my new broadband is being installed on friday 14th, witha company called nildram. They provide superb broadband via the BT line. Visit their website, type in your number and see if they can help you.

I got a dial up modem to try and play galaxies and when patches takes 2 hours + to download and at a time when the big patches are coming, it was time for bed!

http://www.nildram.com

Goodluck

DMUK

You can play SWG and really enjoy it over a 56K line. I have done this since day one. I actually enjoy playing SWG on my 56K line over my dads DSL line aat his house. But like everyone else said that the patches take a while to download. But you learn its not bad, us just go to log on and if a automatic patchs starts loading go watch tv or something else for a little bit and before you know it your up and playing... The game is worth the download times, and for instance this last week, alomost everyday SWG has downloaded small portions of the newest patch which is nice for us 56k gamers. I would have laughed if they just gave us that whole patch at one time, we would have been downloading all day and night. THANKS SWG for thinking abouy us little guys..... :cool:

Wow! Thanks for the support everyone! :D

Im on the site DarthMaulUK and when i click on broadband it sends me to getADSL.co.uk is this correct? Thanks for all the support people, but one more question, when it downloads the automatic update/patch can you pause it or anything say if your near the end of your 2 hours (my net disconnects after 2 hours) or even if you not if you have just logged on and the download takes over 2 hours will it save it in the temp file or something or will you have to start all over again? Thanks this is so great! :D

Finally im seriousely starting to think about getting SWG :D!!!!

Before i was worried i was gonna have serious lags, i dont mind lag in a seriousely busy area (ive heard about space ports etc where everyone goes to trade) but if it will run smooth/ish in normal play areas thats brilliant! Thanks again everyone!

Guest DarthMaulUK

The site it takes you to is correct. Get ASDL. Fingers crossed that you can get it. They are very good and offer alot more in terms of broadband and service without any silly gimmicks like BT/yahoo rubbish.

DMUK

Archived