Home

Framerate question

bdipauly

Hi, appologies if this has all been brought up before several times before, but I am at work and I don't have the time to scroll through all the messages.

Anyway, here goes...

I have played pretty much every MMORPG out there and although nothing has ever captured the enjoyment of playing Everquest (that got me for 18 months) I think this game could come close.

However there is something that is bothering me; the framerate. I have just bought a PC with the following spec: Pentium 4 3ghz, 1gig ram, Geforce 5600. Now I class that to be a pretty good PC yet if I run this game with anything over 1024 x 768 res, and turn on a few nice features I get a framerate of about 10 FPS in lots of places.

So, is this normal? I know my graphics card could be better, but otherwise the spec is pretty good I think.

I don't really like playing games in that res anymore as I guess I am quite spoilt now and I like real nice eye candy and I have to be honest and say that the game just does not look that nice in a lower res.

Can you tell me what res most of you play it in, and is it quite normal to have bad framerates?

Cheers.

Guest DarthMaulUK

we all get poor frame rates, regardless of PC spec. The more that is going on, the lower the frame rate.

You can turn off certain options maybe to increase overall quality but at peak times, its hardly worth it. Unless you are running around a desert or open plains.

DMUK

I've also got an FX5600. The thing that eats the FPS the most is the shadows. I find a nice compromise is to set character shadows to volumetric and turn environment shadows off. This looks good and still gives a decent framerate (until you enter a city with loads of PCs, although adjusting the graphics quality makes no difference). All my other settings are set to about medium.

When in cities with lots of PCs, if your framerate drops to something stupid like 1 or 2 fps, try wlalking instead of running. This seems to almost solve it for me. =)

Archived