Home

Another Computer Spec Question

SWG Fan

Built in AGP Card & Sound, make sure its a T&L with 64M Recomend 128M+ Video Ram not shared with the system ram either.

Make sure It's Nvidia Or Ati & forget the rest. (Intel)

If you have to get this system, make sure you can bypass the on board Video, but most likely you'll only have a PCI slot to replace the current Video card since the agp slot used already.

I would suggest getting a system with a AGP 8X+ slot that doesn't have a built in Video card, this way you can remove the current Video Card and Upgrade later on down the road if more performance is needed. This way you extend the life of the system. Thus not having to buy a new system all the time.

How would mind measure up?

3.06GHz Intel Pentium 4 (800MHz FSB) with HT

512MB DDR RAM (Can always add more later)

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

1. 40GB HD (Just for games etc)

2. 40GB HD (For everything else, basically just OS)

16x DVD ROM Drive

36x/24x/16x CD-RW Drive

Getting a 56kpbs modem as broadband wont be available where i live untill febuary.

Thanks people.

It's a nice system.

If you want suggestions, I would check if your AGP slot is a 4x or 8x which really shouldn't make that much difference on most games, but on SWG it could when using Full graphics.

I also have the ATI 9800 Pro 128MB :) the 256MB cost too much.

Not sure what type of hard drive your using, but the higher the RPM speed the better Slow 5400 Avg 7200 Fast 10000 and Super fast 15k :) The more buffer the better 2mb avg 8mb good.

Access time lower the better. Don't forget SATA 150MB connection, fast as some SCSI devices.

33/66/100/133/150 connections. 100 is Avg

"Getting a 56kpbs modem as broadband wont be available where i live untill febuary"

Havent Used 56K modem for years LOL, but have tried DSL and Cable modem from different locations. My choice is cable, faster and much nicers to deal with than SWBELL (Puke)

Direct PC is ok, never used it but you would need upload and download to be fast. Which cost more than just the Sat down and modem up.

(Advance Graphics Port)AGP which a video card plugs into. Unless you have a built in video card then it doesn't really matter anyways. Its like a PCI slot but only for video cards.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you don't have it then you would need a new motherboard to get one that supports it.

AA is a feature on the card just like T&L which are renderd on the Video card then sent threw the AGP port to the CPU. Since most of the graphics calculation on done on the Video cards these days, having a super CPU wont matter that much as it did in the pass. The AGP is just a bridge from the CPU to the Video card or GPU and a 8x just lets more data flow.

I wouldn't use AA unless your not running 1024x768, 800x600 plus AAx2 is fine. Depends how much load it takes on you system. Just takes the jagged lines out of the picture. Good for Car games and Flight Sims. Not FPS

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the England and just bought SWG. Im gettin a new comp and saw u was giving out help, wondered if you could tell me whether this computer is ok.

Processor : AMD Athlon XP2700+ Processor

Memory : 512MB DDR RAM

Hard Disk : 120GB Hard Disk

CD Writer : 52x CD-Rw/CD-Copier Drive

DVD : 16x DVD-ROM Drive

Graphics : 128Mb GeForce 4 Shared Graphics

Sound : 6 channel Stereo Sound

I also have a new DSL Broadband connection. The thing i'm worrying about the most is whether the graphics card will be good enough and look smooth not crappy! What the graphics will look like. (Because I heard the Radeon 9800 is best) which one is best of the two? Or whats the difference between them graphically. Also lastly! The memory is it ok.

Guest DarthMaulUK

all these 'shared graphics cards' are a route for disaster. We are getting phone calls @ work with silly problems they cause.

All these specs are impressive but check this out.

My home PC:

AMD 2.0 Athlon

1.1 gig ram

80 hard drive

Ati radeon pro 9800 pro

Win Xp

and i get alot of problems with the game.....however.. at work

Intel P3 1.0gig

256 mb

50 gig h/d

Nvidia 64 MB card

Win 98

And although slow, the game is fine (until most recent patch).

It has nothing to do with the graphics card, cos i used to have an nivida one. Just seems strange that alot of low spec PCs run the game trouble free.

Either way, Hawkeye is right... ram, get lots of it!

DMUK

Sure, SWG can run on much lower end systems since the software has many options on how to render graphics & sounds.

I think few can run all the eye candy (Full Graphics options) without needed some beefy systems. And even then that doesn't mean you'll be wanted to have all that on screen anyways.

It makes it hard to see whats your doing if tree's, srubs, and other non collideable items get rendered while trying to fight something. Depends on your type of game play and profession you choose.

On choosing a graphics card, do some research. Saying its a GF4 doesn't mean it good due to all the cost cut backs and affordable models with features cut out to make it less costly for the mainstream consumer.

Many models differ by GPU speed, memory speed, type of memory, features, T&L, AA, Z-buffer and many more, too many to post.

Do a search for hardware reviews and they'll give you hard facts on products. tomshardwareguild, Sharky Extreme, and many more.

Archived