Home

The Phantoms of Gerrard V

Guest Imladil

Guest Imladil

Gerrard V is a planet that seems to have an odd effect on pilots. I think it is ghosts which live in the pink hills and come when there is battle to possess hapless spacefighter pilots.

I mean, first there are the TIE fighters which inexplicably fly headfirst into the beach. These pilots are supposed to be the "best of the best," yet they lose track of basic down. Hmmm.

The clencher came when I tried to get ahead on this level. I chose the A-wing for speed, then attacked the first city in two loops, saving time. When I'd taken out all the turrets and AT-ST's, the Y-wings still hadn't finished with the yachts, so I raced on ahead, to clear the way to the second city. Through the mountains, taking out the AT-ST's and on to the second city, I began clearing the skyline of turrets. I heard the Y-wings, still at the first city, calling for cover. I ignored it, since I'd destroyed all the enemy there...but the Y-wing pilots began going down!

I raced back, to find only one Y-wing left. There were still no Imperials there; I'd already killed them all. The Y-wings had gone down on their own, apparently.

Finishing the game with only one Y-wing was fun. I had plenty of time to chase TIE fighters around the second city as the Y-wing took its time. So now I fly ahead of the game, to let the phantoms come and do their evil work...just so I can smack down TIE fighters longer.

Unless there's another explanation for this apparent pilot suicide that hasn't occured to me...

------------------

"The entire universe is simply the fractal chaos boundary between intersecting domains of high and low energy."

--Imladil the Three-Dimensional

"At the very center of the Earth, which way is down?"

--Little Jimmy

Actually, I noticed that too.

What I like to do on this level is use the Y-Wing (I know, I know), clear all the AT-STs and TIEs, and help Gold Squadron in disabling the transports.

I can't believe I am still playing this game. What has it been now, a year ?

------------------

Moff Kint

Kint@beer.com

http://www.pgpi.com

Guest Imladil

I got Rogue Squadron just after New Year's. I guess it HAS been awhile!

Sometimes it seems as if I'm a rebel space pilot who downloads himself into a real body for his off time. Of course, I couldn't see myself going out to work in that case...

I can't wait to get the stuff I need to play X-Wing Alliance. I just have one concern: can you fly other fighters in the game, or are you stuck with the ungodly X-wing? (I dislike the X-wing on a deep, personal level.) Not that it would stop me from playing...

Hey, this is a little off subject, but do any of you play Pilot Wings?

------------------

"The entire universe is simply the fractal chaos boundary between intersecting domains of high and low energy."

--Imladil the Confused

"Why is the sky blue?"

--Little Jimmy

Guest TheForceGuy

**GASP**

Could it be?

KINT IS BACK!

kool...

-lata

------------------

Never under estimate the power of the Force.

Guest Imladil

Awww...

Hi, Kint. I've never met you before; I'm new around here.

I am Imladil. I have a sword and might be crazy. smile.gif

------------------

--Imladil the Confused

"Why is the sky blue?"

--Little Jimmy

Guest TheForceGuy

sorry kint, i must have missed the other post.

do u remember me?

------------------

Of course I do! I havn't been gone that long, even though I noticed some changes in nicknames. Who's who, now ?

So, what's up in here ?

------------------

Moff Kint

Kint@beer.com

"I picked up a Magic 8-Ball the other day and it said 'Outlook not so

good.' I said, 'Sure, but Microsoft still ships it.'"

Guest Imladil

No...oh, no...you HAD to ask what up was! Sigh.

Up is an entirely relative concept, and one that we seldom contemplate to any great detail. Essentially, we define up as being the opposite direction in relation to the pull of gravity. If you drop something, up is where it fell from.

Up is fairly easy to deal with here at the bottom of Earth's gravity well. The planet's strong attraction cancels out any competing gravity sources, so there is only one down that we worry about: the center of the Earth. Curious note: if you were floating at the very center of the Earth, "up" would be everywhere...

Anyway. Up becomes a dicey concept when taken outside of the planetary arena. When in deep space, different, weakened gravitational attractions compete with each other to exert fluctuating forces on a given object. Basically, it would be necessary to determine which direction one was drifting before labeling the opposing vector "up." The equation becomes very odd when one extrapolates what up would be like if balanced at a lagrange point in space...that is, balanced perfectly between two planetary bodies so that each cancel the other out. In this case, up would be right at our own center of balance, and we would have two "downs," toward either of the competing gravity wells.

On the macrocosmic scale, up becomes "outward," and down becomes the mass center of gravity for whichever physical construct we are considering. A galaxy's down would be at the center of its whirpool, a galactic cluster's would be at the center of its mass taken together and gradiated, and the entire universe's down would be wherever it was that the Big Bang originally occured.

Whew. So...what's up with you? wink.gif

------------------

--Imladil the Trenchant

"What color is nothing?"

--Little Jimmy

[This message has been edited by Imladil (edited November 12, 1999).]

Guest TheForceGuy

Don't bother listening to IMLADIL, he is some wacked cook...

What made you decide to come back to these forums?

------------------

Guest Imladil

Gravity made him come back. HAW! HAW! HAW! (Snort!)

I'm sorry. I can't resist physics jokes. wink.gif

"The blue ones are civilian! Let's check our fire!"

------------------

--Imladil the Trenchant

"What color is nothing?"

--Little Jimmy

[This message has been edited by Imladil (edited November 09, 1999).]

Guest TheForceGuy

Speaking of that IMLADIl, am i the only person in this forum that gets really pissed off at the lady screaming at you to watch ur fire on the floating city and then two secs later she says "I'm beggining to see why they say ur the best" ??? I hate that.

------------------

Guest Imladil

Kasan?!?

Did someone see Kasan Moor around here? Where is that b***h? I've been chasing her for weeks now!

I go OUT OF MY WAY to shoot her down. She's way too bossy, and I think she's an Imperial spy anyway...

If you see her, stall her. I'll be on my way with a Y-wing full of bombs.

------------------

--Imladil the Hominid

"Why are we here?"

--Little Jimmy

Archived