Home

Problem with identical file names

Tanesh

For my mod I changed the conversation file lev40_carth.dlg in the module ebo_m40aa. It's the conversation where you get captured by the Leviathan. But now I discovered that the conversation file, when Bastila interrupts the fight with Malak in the hangar (lev40_maa), has got the same name. So when the modified file is in the override folder, I still get the "who should save us"-conversation from the Ebon Hawk. :(

Is there a solution how to fix that without removing the conversation file from the override folder? Perhaps with a script or something? :confused:

Please help me ... :(

Oh, just saw that's the same problem with the conversation files from the crash at the Unknown World and the showdown at the Central Beach which I have modified, too. :(

Yeah that's an annoying problem.

I noticed that lev40_carth.dlg is actually in at least 3 .rim files (ebo_m40aa_s.rim, lev_m40aa_s.rim, and lev_m40ac_s.rim).

Here's how I would handle it.

1. Extract the k_lev_fadeout.ncs file from ebo_m40aa_s.rim.
  2. Hex Edit the .ncs file, changing "lev_m40carth" to "lev_m40cart2" or something.
  3. Put your modified .ncs file in the Override folder.
  4. Rename your modified lev40_carth.dlg file to lev40_cart2.dlg.

The k_lev_fadeout.ncs file appears to be the one that invoked the lev40_carth.dlg that came from the ebo_m40aa_s.rim file. I used NCSRip along with the find command line utility to discover this.

Edit: Note, when hex editing a string like I described above, it is imperative that you do not add or subtract characters from the original string, but rather keep it exactly the same length by merely replacing pre-existing characters.

Oh my, that was even harder than I thought. It took me almost 6 hours to get it right. :(

tk, you were cleverer than me, I didn't think of NSCRip and searched for the scripts all myself. That took most of the time. :rolleyes:

The problem was a bit trickier than I thought; after changing the file when you get captured, everything worked ... until after the escape from the Leviathan when you tell the party members that you are Revan. This module had the same trigger and script file for starting the dialogue, and I had the "who shold save us"-conversation again. :mad:

I don't know if there's an easier solution, but after uncountable errors, I managed to modify the entire last module and changed the trigger and dialog names and now it works (except a little bug that makes Jolee start the conversation except Juhani, but I'll accept that). Thank god (and Doom Dealer) for the module tutorial! :)

Thank you for the link, tk ... That would have saved me a lot of time. If I'd only thought to look for it ... :rolleyes:

And now I'll go to bed, I really need it. :D

That solves my problem of making Bastila not receive a double bladed lightsaber on Taris' swoop platform. I just had to replace it in the compiled scripts that checked if it was all ready in my inventory(from Brejik's corpes) and if not for Bastila to loot Brejik's corpes. I made Bastila use a single bladed lightsaber. I figured it was more Jedi like:)

Thanks TK:D

Archived