Home

hardware acceleration

Guest foxridge

Guest foxridge

I had to reinstall XWA, and after I did that the game will only play in software rendering. After this, I downloaded the newest WHQL drivers for my voodoo 3 3000 AGP board and installed them, and then reinstalled directx 7.0, and it still does the same thing. When you go to the hardware configuration screen in the game, it lists "primary display driver" instead of "voodoo 3", and it is grayed out so that you cannot change it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this without having to format my drive and reload everything? I am not sure, but I think all my problems started when a relative of mine loaded a 3D game on my computer and then loaded an older version of directx. Ever since then, things have been fubar.

Guest JC_DeadEye

3D Options Are Grayed Out In The "Video Options" Screen[

If you are using a 3D accelerator card which does not feature a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 based chipset*, the flight sequences in X-Wing Alliance will default to 2D mode. If you have a supported 3D accelerator installed in your system, and you would like to enable 3D mode, you can do this prior to entering a Flight Sequence (in the Family Transport/Concourse/Mission Briefing area) by:

Pressing the Escape (Esc) key

Selecting "Video Options"

Selecting "Single Player Video Options" (The demo does not feature multi-player support)

Click the "off" on the "3D Hardware" line once so it changes to "on"

You must enable 3D acceleration prior to entering a flight sequence, otherwise the options will not be available. Instead, they will appear to be grayed out and you will be unable to select them. Once you exit a flight sequence (by pressing the Q key and then the Spacebar) you will return to the Family Transport/Concourse/Mission Briefing area where the video options will be available.

*If you are using a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 based chipset, and the game defaults to 2D mode, you should follow the instructions listed above to enable 3D mode. However, once you are in the Single Player Video Options area, you will also need to click "Primary Display Driver" on the "Video Display Driver" line so it lists "3Dfx Direct X 5 Driver" for the standard Voodoo graphics card or "3Dfx Direct X 6 Driver" for Voodoo2 users. If you are using a 3D graphics card which features the Voodoo Banshee chipset, you will not need to toggle this option since the Banshee chipset will utilize the "Primary Display Driver."

------------------

X-Wing Alliance Upgrade member.

Guest garyah99

What resolution are you using? I was using a Voodoo2 in 800x600 res. with DX 6. When I upgraded to a Voodoo3 with DX 7, the updated drivers did NOT support 800x600 resolution, and I had similar problems as you are describing. Try setting your in-game resolution to the next higher setting.

------------------

"I get by with a little help from my friends...."

Guest Test Crash Droid

I have a Voodoo 3500 TV AGP. Works like a charm with DX7 and 800x600. Keep in mind that you CANNOT change resolutions while in a battle.

Archived