Home

Playing the game campaign missions multiplayer

Guest Miso

Guest Miso

Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts (I couldn't find any however) but I wanted to know if the 50+ campaign missions could somehow be played in multiplayer mode.

If those *.tie files could somehow be converted to *.skm skirmish files I guess it would be possible, but I don't know if this can be done. Also, I tried switching the names of the "Melee" and "Missions" folders which actually allowed me to scroll through and pick the campaign missions at the multiplayer setup screen, but then it crashed while loading the mission.

Any info regarding this topic would be helpful. Thanks

Guest Miso

Does anyone know? Is this so basic that no one is responding? I think being able to play those missions cooperatively would add greatly to the game.

Guest JC_DeadEye

Yeah, I believe if you take the multiplayer mission and use it in place of the mission named "temp.tie" and give this same file to all the players invivled it will work. i don't know all the details, but that's the basics. Someone else should have more detailed information.

------------------

X-Wing Alliance Upgrade member.

Here is the more detailed info. directly from Troy Dangerfield's user manual for AllEd

Q: Can I write multi-player custom missions?

A: Yes, to a certain extent, but it's not as easy as just adding more players to a mission. Trying to play a mission with more than 1 player in a campaign or through the combat simulator will crash the game.

Multiplayer games in XWA can only be played in skirmish mode, but you don't need to be limited to missions created with the skirmish editor. What happens when you play a skirmish is that the .skm file currently selected is converted into a .tie file by the game engine (it's call temp.tie in the Skirmish folder.) That temp mission can actually be edited by AlliED. The catch is that the game generates the temp file each time you enter a .skm mission, so to edit the current mission you can play a skirmish mission, exit it, then edit or replace temp.tie, then chose to Play the skirmish file again and you'll be playing the edited version. Alternately, you can replace temp.tie before you enter a skirmish, but give it the property of read-only (right click on it and select Properties) so the game engine can't overwrite it and you will go straight into your edited mission. Also, if you are going to play multiplayer I think all players have to have the same temp.tie.

------------------

OLDOBI.gif That's no moon, it's a SPAM Station

Abolisher's Mission Command Outpost

Archived