Home

Cut Scene Audio Problems

West Virginia M

The problem I'm having is that the cut scenes have stuttering, looping audio that sometimes cuts in and out. For example, the character dialogue repeats the same word maybe 5 or 6 times before moving on to the next word, or the sound of a door opening will repeat over and over like an echoing effect. The video, hower, appears to be mostly okay. I can skip the cut scenes with the escape key and the game itself plays fine. So the problem is only in those cut scenes, which are basically unwatchable.

I've installed the patch, and have tried both Win95 and Win98 compatibility. I've also fiddled and tweaked with every option there was in the menu screen, all to no avail.

I'm running: WinXP P4 2.6 1GB Radeon X800XL Soundblaster Audigy

Any ideas?

Greetings GF and LucasArts freaks !

I think I've found the final solution for the cutscene audio stuttering problem and maybe a couple of other problems as well. Thanks to ERU, a fine forum user - If I knew you I'd give you beer - I think I got a problem solver on my hands.

I'll start contributing with my current GF XP setting - which is working marvelous at this point. Haven't finished the game yet, thank god, so I don't know if it'll cause any problems further on in the game after the poisoning scene.

----------------------------

a. First make sure you've patched the .exe with this .

b. Set your colour depth to 16-bit.

c. Don't run GRIMFANDANGO.EXE in any compatibility mode.

d. Do exactly what ERU stated in his HyperThreading topic:

----------

1. Patch the GRIMFANDANGO.EXE using imagecfg.exe. Here’s how:

a. Download imagecfg.exe at (Thanks to both sites for providing this):

http://www.reality-xp.com/support/k...sc/imagecfg.zip

or

http://www.death-web.com/files/imagecfg.zip

b. Place imagecfg.exe into same directory as GRIMFANDANGO.EXE (usually C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim).

c. Create a backup of the GRIMFANDANGO.EXE (copy and paste it somewhere else)

d. Open command prompt (Click on start menu, left click “run…”, type cmd)

e. Change directory to the same directory that GRIMFANDANGO.EXE and imagecfg.exe are now in, for example type: cd C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Grim

f. Type the following: imagecfg -a 0x1 GRIMFANDANGO.EXE this will patch the executable file so that it runs on one CPU.

----------

This is working wonders for me and the game is running perfectly - so far ! I'll make another reply if there occurs any errors using this setting. Hope not.

Have fun with this great game ! And cheers to LucasArts.

Okay. Here's what happened.

I set desktop color to 16 bit and didn't use any compatibility modes. And the, yes, the cut scenes worked perfectly. And then I played some of the game, which seemed okay. Then I saved, and when returning from a save game all the audio was just gone. Even previous save games when loaded were entirely mute. When I did the affinity fix listed above, it solved the muted audio issue, sure, but then the cut scenes went back to stuttering and looping. Ugh.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excellent! I have no clue as to what imagecfg is, but it stopped the sound echoing in cut scenes for my Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0MHz HT enabled on XP Home SP2.

Grim Fandango (Win95/98 CD) now seems to run fine though it seems to use 100% of (half?) the CPU which makes it pretty hot!

Archived