Do you OC?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you OC?

• HARDCORE!
    • Yes
    • No
    • What is OC?

Guest Boba Rhett

Simply put, It's pushing a product past it's recommended and standard settings and abilities by tweaking the hell out of it, "sometimes". This includes many many things such as ocing the processor, ram, video card, messing around with the fsb, and some of the more dedicated people will even hook up a car radiator to the processor.

Sorry if that's not enough info for you. I'm sure Beta will have something to add to it.

Cool Fact: Did you guys know that every once and awhile, Intel and other processor companies will have a "fluke" chip that runs at multiple ghz?

Guest nXs_Altus

I had a nice celery 300 (p2 class) oced to 450 with a peltier cooling unit... when I got my 600eb I heard that they were not oc friendly so didn't risk it... the 450 became a file/print/internet server and remained functional... once even the fan went and the thing got hot enough to probobly melt (if you touched it you heared sizaling right before the pain struck). not even one o them compressed air cans held upside down (for the freezing liquid) did much to cool the bugger off... after a while, got a new fan on it and it booted up just dandy :)

that system is now running a p3 600 (slot) chip but the 300 oced to 450 likely still works dandy! I had that chip for quite a while so they are (were) definetly grand for overclocking.

I don't think the new 1.33ghz amd proc that my friend is puting together would handle overclocking well since it is already running over 110 degreese...

Guest Darth Beta

oh yea, we really get into it

it isnt always over what it can do, RAMs are rated to a NS, the NS gives you max speed for the RAMs, or the old Slot As, if you took the heat plat off it would give you the speed AMD rated it to, i had a 700, had a 800 core in it, took it to 920 MHz, some people got 750s with 1000 cores. Now Socket As are different, have stepping codes, i have a 1 GHz AXIA chip that will do 1.4 GHz (run at 1.3), new 1 GHz steppings now will do 1.6+ GHz. Some use water cooling, some use TECs (pelts) to reach sub-zero temps with their compo, there are AMD T-BIrds that are running close to 2.1 GHz, its a fun hobby

Guest Darth Beta
Originally posted by nXs_Altus

I don't think the new 1.33ghz amd proc that my friend is puting together would handle overclocking well since it is already running over 110 degreese...

with an all copper HSF it will do wonders, if ya wanna know where to get one REALLY good one, just let me know, also you can lower the voltage to bring temps down, default for a 1 GHz T-Bird is 1.8 V, i run at 1.3 GHz on 1.65 V

Archived