Home

Some thoughts from a new player

WasteLock

Ok, so this is my first excursion into the realm of MMORPG's (unless you count The Realm) and I have tried to resist for quite some time. I don't like the idea of paying 50$ for a game then paying for the privilage it with other people (just like I could do for free in shooters), but with Oblivion being delayed it was finally time. So I picked it up last weekend. I had some problems with my router and finally got it working to a point where I could sign on for more than 10min at a time on the 14th.

Now I'll admit, I was a bit lost at first, but I was getting the hang of it. I had started with the intention of becoming a stormtrooper, but got distracted by the Artisan's path. I was working through the newbie quests on Tatooine and getting used to the system. I had a few pips in Marksman, a few in Artisan, and even one in Scout.

I had been reading the forums, mostly for my router issue, and I saw a lot of talk about this 'NGE' thing. Well after a very brief review of a few posts I found out that it was New Game Enhancements. It didn't seem like something that would affect me much, putting in 9 new classes and nerfing the jedi. As a quick aside, Lucas does have a track record of making jedi too powerful and nerfing them later ::cough:: DFA ::cough::, but that didn't seem to be the case here. It looked like more of a marketing gimmick, but whatever.

So, on Monday night when the server shutdown for updates I wasn't too worried. On Tuesday however, when I logged in I was playing a different game. The controls were just the tip of the iceberg as I soon discovered. I was no longer able to play a cross-class character and it was moved to a level based system from a skill based one. Why does shooting womp rats make me a better engineer? My whining aside, I can imagine how miffed the long time account holders are. It is inconceivable to me that a game would be changed that dramatically after years of implementation. Haven't they heard of a sequel?

Basically I am trying now to decide whether I will continue after my trial period and play a game that I didn't buy or if I will just return it to Wal-Mart (who will probably just re-shrink it and put it back on the shelf) I realize that is not an option for the people who have been playing for years and now feel that their money was wasted, and that sucks bad for them. I will, however, grant SOE that they don't have to sate the needs of their community (even though it's a good idea.) They will probably make just as much money from the '1337 Über j3d1' crowd who will pick up the 20$ version or the undoubtedly upcoming console release and just play jedi vs bounty hunters like a galactic Counter-Strike.

I feel your pain on that router issue. I had the same problem when I played back in the day but it amazingly wasn't SOE's fault. Hard to believe but it's true. :) Once I updated my firmware, I didn't get disconnected anymore but the game continually got worse LOL. :D

Archived