Home

Stoopid computer question

Guest Zoom Rabbit

Guest Zoom Rabbit

You know, I like the Star Wars music they give us with our PC games. It's stirring and all that...but it does lack something.

For smacking TIEs around, I need something with a little more bite. I need rock and roll! Offspring, The Who, EMF--just as long as it thumps. biggrin.gif

Anyway--the point. I know that it's possible to copy tracks off of music CDs onto the computer, then play them back while running a game in the disc drive. I just don't know how to do it. rolleyes.gif

Can anyone help me? I have a normal PC with 16 rams in it (or something like that) that runs on Windows 95.

Thanks!

------------------

awingtrs.gif

'Don't shoot--Your sister's in the cockpit with me!'

(Customized taunt #227)

Guest Forceflow

Mhm... dunno how that can work, but why don't you hook your computer up to a stereo? That's much more fun anyways, OR you can hook up a diskman to your computer, that could also work. (If you put it into Line in you should still hear the sound, depending on your soundcard though) But I really suggest hooking up your computer to a stereo. Nothing beats playing with some real sound power! (Ya know, if you blow up an ISD and you fear your house is gonna break down 'cause of it you know you have the REAL sound!)

------------------

Murphy was an optimist!

Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

you can do that by making your cds into mp3s (use cdex or something, just search for it), you can then play them using winamp or media player 7. The other way i do it is to connect my cd player to the Line in on my soundcard as someone suggested above. The other way it can be done is to buy an old cd-rom drive (doesnt need to be fast to play cds, i have a quad speed kicking around that would do the job) and connect it to your soundcard. This will only work if you have a soundcard which supports 2 analogue inputs and analogue speakers.

Also if you have a game with the music file accessible,you can use the file name of the file you want canged to the music file in the game.

Example: Rename 'Offspring.mus' to 'Imp.mus' then put the Offspring music (now Imp.mus) in the file that the real Imp.mus was in and take the other one out.

They do that in some games.

Originally posted by Forceflow:

Nothing beats playing with some real sound power!

Oh yeah! I agree.

I pluged in my 65 Watts guitar amp and it is so sweet, walls start shaking and you can't hear your parents complaining (didn;t try max volume yet...). One cool thing is that I can plug a FX and add a large amount of FX to the sound (Reverb, Wah, Distortion, EQ, Mod, Delay...)I'm planning on buying two 500 Watts speakers with the cash I got for christmas biggrin.gif The house will fall apart.

But those two speakers will be primarily used for my guitar biggrin.gif

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Jem (edited January 22, 2001).]

Guest Coffeebean_uk

If you download Windows media player (ME Version) you will be able to do it. Should be on the microsoft website somewhere. You also get some cool skins for it and there is even a tie fighter out for it somewhere im told.

Glad to have been of help, (If i was)

Bye.

------------------

Coffeebean_uk.

Supreame Soverign Of Paladinia.

Ruler Of Sterling Lines.

Defender Of Net Game Newbies.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

I have my Nintendo 64 hooked up to my VCR, which is, of course, connected to my six-speaker home stereo system. Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo scare the neighbors at high volume. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, all that is in the living room. My computer is in the kitchen. rolleyes.gif Fortunately, I have a nice pair of Labtec LCS-600s for the computer. I also use big digital headphones when I play XvT, maximizing the stereo effect. Good idea, though.

The Mediaplayer idea sounds like it's on the right track. Someone told me how once, and I remember it sounded easy (no ports or cdexes, etc.) I was under the impression that it was a matter of copying something to somewhere and telling it to play itself while the game runs.

Can I just splice speaker wires into the phone going to the modem? smile.gif

------------------

awingtrs.gif

'Don't shoot--Your sister's in the cockpit with me!'

(Customized taunt #227)

windows media player 7 comes with something which is similar to cdex, all you do is put a cd in the drive and click "Copy CD" on the CD Audio section. This converts all your cd tracks into wma (basically a windows version of mp3 but with lots of restrictions), i prefer to use cdex and get them as mp3s so i can listen to them on more than one computer (and not use something invented by microsoft at the same time biggrin.gif)

Guest Coffeebean_uk

Thats what i said aint it

------------------

Coffeebean_uk.

Supreame Soverign Of Paladinia.

Ruler Of Sterling Lines.

Defender Of Net Game Newbies.

Guest Zoom Rabbit

It could get worse.

Why doesn't the web browser take me to my Hotmail account when I click on HTML?

[This message has been edited by Zoom Rabbit (edited January 24, 2001).]

rolleyes.gif

aaanyway, try to find a program called audiograbber. The demo version is shareware and it lets you copy CD tracks as wav files (which are easier to work with, IMHO.

As for getting the music to play in-game, I dunno.

------------------

"Do fish-people eat fish, or would that be like humans eating monkeys?"

"Humans do eat monkeys. In fact humans eat other humans. . . Y'know, as a species, we are really quite unpleasant."

I remember being totally blown away when I got a subwoofer for my Pc...

------------------

Was I supposed to eat the heads too? 'Cause I took nooo prisioners!

Once again, evil is defeated through the use of decorative agricultural technology!

Official forum Psychic

Archived