Home

Tutorial: How to create Menu Sound Effects

Tokakeke

To create sound effects for the menu that is opened when the CD is inserted or "Play Empire At War" is clicked:

1. Find sound effects. They should NOT be any longer than 3 seconds, and should be in WAV format. If you cannot make them WAVs, use a converter (Switch Audio Converter comes to mind, it is what I use) Bitrate does not matter.

2. Decide which effects go to which action.

There are four possible effects to replace:

open.wav - When you click "Start Game". This can be a bit longer but should not be over 4-5 seconds.

hover.wav - Plays when you hover your mouse over, but don't click, a button on the menu. This should be very short.

start.wav - Plays when "Play Star Wars: Empire At War" is clicked and menu is brought up.

click.wav - Plays whenever anything but "Start Game" is clicked (options, help, etc).

3. Rename your sound effect to one of these. In my mod, I had an mp3 file called "vader_ihaveyounow.mp3". I wanted this to be my open.wav so that when I brought up the menu it'd play. I would run Switch and convert it to a wav, then I would rename it to open.wav. You don't have to replace all 4, but it's recommended.

4. Place them in your Install/audio directory. They will probably overwrite the old files (if you want to make a backup, do so before overwriting!). Remember that the client (if you're making a mod) will probably not want to do this - I have made a Install/Audio directory with my wavs in it, so the client can drag this to their regular EAW folder (Mine's C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War) and click "yes to all" rather than going into the Install folder. (C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War\Install\audio).

5. It should now work.

For an example of directory structures, download my "Just Another Space Mod" at http://empireatwar.filefront.com/file/Just_Another_Space_Mod;57655.

You can also, if you are making a mod and are confused about directory structure, just use that structure and replace my wavs with your own, repackage it as a zip, and give it to your friends - however I ask that you give me credit if you use any of the wavs I used in my original mod. If you replace them all, you don't have to give me any credit.

Wouldn't that play over the default EAW music (in the in-game menu)?

Or did you disable the music in the main menu?

Oh, and 3 minute WAVs..are huge. I'd recommend making it the in-game music instead so you can compress it in MP3 format.....

• 8 years later...

Archived