Home

Do you think this will be the last Monkey Island?

FreakyBob

Well do you think this will be the last monkey island?

If so why?

Why not carry on making them?

Do you want them to stop?

Don't you want them to try and improve the game?

Where would you all be if they didn't make anymore monkey islands? You'd have nothing to look forward to and get bored of the old games?

Well? What do ye think?

------------------

"I Trust You About As Far As I Can Throw Manhattan!"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the series will go on to a sixth, but probably not any more, guybrush can only do so much in his wannabe pirate life untill he ACTUALLY earns "Pirate" status, and thats etting closer and closer each sequel.

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

America was founded on three basic principles, Liberty, Equality and FRATERNITY PARTIES!!

Originally posted by newfoundgloryboy:

guybrush can only do so much in his wannabe pirate life untill he ACTUALLY earns "Pirate" status, and thats etting closer and closer each sequel.

Are you sure? He was closer to being respected in 2 than he was in 3 or 4...

------------------

LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?

timmya.gif

Much as I'd like the series to continue forever, I doubt whether anyone, even Lucasarts, could continue the quality of the series past another two, maybe three more games. A bad Monkey Island game would be one of the most upsetting things I could imagine - so basically I think that LA should just plan one (possibly two) more games, with 'The Secret of Monkey Island' remaining a mystery and talking point for fans forever. Should they try to reveal it, i doubt whether it would be able to live up to the 10 years + expectations of gamers who have followed the series all the way through.

On a side note, do people think that Guybrush should be killed off in the final game, to definitively end the series???

Guybrush cant die (the lead character in Lucas adventures cant die), but LeChuck should finally be destroyed or give up so as to leave Guybrush & Elaine in peace... or possibly the offing of everyones favourite (female) governor...

maybe LeChuck finally gets her... sort of like the end to Starcraft where the token babe (if you can call her render that) turned into one of the most powerful & evil characters ive seen in a pc game!

------------------

LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?

timmya.gif

Guest ZeroXcape

I can see LucasArts doing six games, because then they can somehow relate it to Star Wars again.

I also can see five being the last one as well. The Voodoo Lady said she had a contract for 5 episodes wink.gif

I really doubt LucasArts will go past six. At this point, it is going to be hard to make a new LeChuck. Hopefully he'll learn to clone himself or something.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

Monkey Island is probably not over, and I can see it going on idefinitely in a Final Fantasy fashion, but what needs to be avoided is the Tomb Raider syndrome, where a sequel is soulessly churned out every year. They should only make one when they have a good idea, not when sales suggests it.

And why would Guybrush becoming a proper pirate end the series? As for him dying, that is a big no-no; MI is a comedy series and it would be pretty hard to kill Guybrush without getting inappropriately serious.

Guest ZeroXcape

Well I doubt it will ever get to the point where a monkey island game will be turned out ever year, but what instead would be cool might be to edit the game someway. If we could edit scenarios and setup our own puzzels, adventures, etc: people would be able to play the game more then once.

While the EMI team worked very hard, I feel like EMI is just a mod for Grim Fandango.

Also, since the monkey island series has offically spanded over a decade with only four games, one per year is very unlikley.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

I think there should be either two or three more MI games, and then kaput.

It woukld be hard for LA to keep up wiht the quality games it's been doing, and if they keep making MI games after they run out of ideas, it will reflect badly on the brilliant MI games anyway.

i agree with newfoundglory that since he's been getting more respect in each game, he'll reach the limit soon, and they shouldn't go past that.

i think the final mi game should tie into the beginning of SMI, to make a nice circle kinda thing.

I they don't tie it up to the first game, the other option i think would work very well would be killing off the main charcater. And, yes, i know the lead character in a LA adventure can't/hasn't died. That's what would make the ending so great. It would catch everyone offguard, because noone would see it coming. (On a sidenote, if LA leads can't die, GuybrushUK, what was Manny?)

That's my 2 cents.

------------------

"That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!"

-Guybrush Threepwood

Can you imagine killing Guybrush and making it funny? They would have to, for making an emotional dramatic serious death sequence would just be wrong for MI. But offing him via some silly gag or joke doesn't seem right either... Guybrush deserves more than that.

Perhaps he could go missing or mysteriously dissappear, but to definitively kill him would be too hard to pull off well, I think.

And besides, killing him wouldn't mean a lot in the MI world, where pirates get ressurected at the drop of a hat wink.gif

Originally posted by Lechuck13:

On a sidenote, if LA leads can't die, GuybrushUK, what was Manny?

He was dead... in the context of the game...

i dont have the game, but ive heard that in the final battle on the submarine, you can get sprouted, but the game just resets to before the battle...

& who votes that Elaine should become the bad guy smile.gif (Starcraft ROX smile.gif)

------------------

LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?

timmya.gif

I think that they should kind of kill of Guybrush in some way or another in the next game or two.

And then laeve it a couple of years, and then carry on making them.

Kind of like a surprise, because if we're all honest we were never expecting a third monkey island.

After bringing Guybrush back again, they should perhaps come up with some new ideas, characters, bad guys, plots, rather then recycling the original ones.

Maybe they should make a moniey island every four years or something, give them time to really make each game as good as possible.

------------------

"I Trust You About As Far As I Can Throw Manhattan!"

Yeah, I think they will only get to 6 episodes (like the Star Wars saga)

Coz they will eventually run out of ideas and it will become repeditive like Tomb Raider does.

What would be cool if Lucasarts made new adventures for Full Throttle, Sam & Max, The Dig and The Day of the Tentacle.

Anyway if Lucasarts stopped their MI series, I'd love them to bring out extra MI goodies. eg, desktop themes & games, MI figurines, MI action game (like tomb raider kind of style), etc.

Hmmmm maybe a MI movie ?

MI movie? They were going to make on in '92 with Leonardo Dicaprio as Guybrush but then it was decided that the source was too nerdy and wouldn't get enough bums in seats... you'd get a much bigger audience now though.

I wrote a Mi script which was positively recieved over at the Home Of The Underdogs posting board wink.gif

Originally posted by Pauly Shaw:

i think that if they want to keep making more, they should space them out a bit, put more work into them look at mi3 compared to mi2.

wha?!? just cos a game looks basic & easily created these days doesn't mean that it wasn't back then...

Monkey Island 2 was the first game to use iMuse, and all its background were hand-drawn scanned watercolours... it probably took lots of development time!

------------------

LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?

timmya.gif

Originally posted by Tull:

killing him wouldn't mean a lot in the MI world, where pirates get ressurected at the drop of a hat wink.gif

they could squeeze probably two more chapters out of it, unless they [comically] knock guybrush(and maybe elaine?)off at the end of the sixth installment to make them [good] undead pirates. That would open doors for countless quality sequels.

LucasArts should stop bothering with sequals and make something completly new!

For example, they could make a game out of the great movie "Nightmare before Christmas"! That would Rock!

------------------

The lava is hotter than a steam-boiled otter, and my shoes are slowly melting down the fiberglass floor!

Actually, while I think about it, I quite like that idea of Guybrush becoming a heroic undead pirate, being forever doomed to sail the seas, righting wrongs and protecting the innocent. Maybe a Spawn type scenario, with Elaine as Wanda.

Originally posted by Guybrush UK:

wha?!? just cos a game looks basic & easily created these days doesn't mean that it wasn't back then...

Yeah, i agree that mi2 was a good game, but look how much better cmi was graphic wise and sound wise.

Maybe they could fix some of the bugs from EMI.

Archived