Home

Gamepad Advice

ferris209

Talk to Lathain Valtiel and/or Vagabond (aka Nomad).

They both have at one time (or still do) use joystick setups to play the JK series. Think rudder pedals and dual flight sticks! ;)

It's possible with training, though most use keyboard and mouse combo.

Remember Jedi Outcast was ported to Xbox and Gamecube, just as Jedi Academy was ported to Xbox, so some players have little choice in what controls they use.

The gamepads I have wouldn't really be adequate to play JK2, as they're Gravis Xterminator pads (more suited to old school arcade and console games).

The gamepad I use on my PC is actually my gamecube one.. with a a cheap, couple of dollar USB adaptor. Its better than any similarly priced PC gamepad i've seen.

However for FPS games like these I think most people would agree that a Mouse/Keyboard combo is much better and more accurate.. though if you are used to console controllers then the " mouse freelook" experience can be kind of confusing for a while.

Personally i'd suggest learning the mouse/keyboard options if you are going to do much PC gaming.. but if you would rather use a gamepad, and have an xbox, ps2 or gamecube already, then you might want to grab a cheap usb adaptor and use te controller you already know. You'll probably loose in multiplayer though..

It might be easier, it all depends. You don't need as much precision (arguably) for saber fighting as you do for say, aiming your gun. That's why you have so many third person type action games that work decently on consoles that usually rely on gamepads, and so many successful FPS games on PC using the mouse.

The thing is, the JK series is somewhat tricky for console adaptation, because most players like to bind all their force powers to hotkeys, which ends up using up a lot of buttons. So you really need an extraordinary setup to make it worth your while. If you just have your typical PS2 style clone controller for the PC, chances are you'll be limited just by the lack of buttons to cover all your abilities, even if you can aim successfully with an analog stick or something.

Archived