Home

Trying to change lightsaber hilt model in an existing mod

Writneth

I was looking into changing the design of the jedi master saber from Maverick and Redhawkes Prestige item mod to that of the Lukes lightsaber hilt already designed in JW's movie saber mod. I had assumed that this would only require copying and renaming files to override the original master saber files, but I was usure which ones to overwrite as I want to keep the game play special abilites and desciption text of the saber I just want to change the hilt design as it shows in the game on pc, in item menu, and at at upgrade at the workbench. Any help here would be great and also give me insight on what files to manipulate later if I wish to make different sabers for the game, or change other designs.

Also as a relative newb to the mod scene I just have to give major respect for the guys that have put together some of the awsome mods I am working with: Everyone with Holowan Labs, JW, Redhawke, Maverick, Envida and anyone involved with the USM project.

The USM has Luke's saber already, I think it's called "Padawan's Saber" or something like that.

To switch the models you want, find the UTI files for the sabers you want to change some where in the mods directory. Then open the saber's UTI file in kotor tool, and on the first tab there is a space -in the lower right corner- that says "model variation' with a number by it. This number tells the game which 3d model to use. So for example if it says 12 it uses lightsaber model variation number 12. After you have the model numbers you have to find the lightsaber's mdl and mdx files. They would be called something like "w_asabernamehere_001.mdl" and "w_asabernamehere_001.mdx". Find the mdx and mdl files for the sabers you want to change and rename them after each other. Then put these renamed files in your override with the rest of the mod and it should work.

EDIT: Actually scratch all that about kotor tool if they are custom sabers they should be named after what they are in the game and you shouldn't need the numbers to find them. Just rename and put them in the override folder. :)

I was looking into changing the design of the jedi master saber from Maverick and Redhawkes Prestige item mod to that of the Lukes lightsaber hilt already designed in JW's movie saber mod. I had assumed that this would only require copying and renaming files to override the original master saber files, but I was usure which ones to overwrite as I want to keep the game play special abilites and desciption text of the saber I just want to change the hilt design as it shows in the game on pc, in item menu, and at at upgrade at the workbench. Any help here would be great and also give me insight on what files to manipulate later if I wish to make different sabers for the game, or change other designs.

Also as a relative newb to the mod scene I just have to give major respect for the guys that have put together some of the awsome mods I am working with: Everyone with Holowan Labs, JW, Redhawke, Maverick, Envida and anyone involved with the USM project.

I made those sabers quite a while ago, but all you have to do is change the .mdl and .mdx files.. I don't remember what model number I used so I'll have to look it up, but for example if I used "w_lghtsbr_087.mdl/.mdx" and for example JW's saber was "w_lghtsbr_099.mdl/.mdx" all you would have to do is rename JW's .mdl and .mdx files to match mine and then overwrite my old files with his. Also you will still need to throw JW's saber textures into your override folder as well.

I'll try go digging around and see if I can't come up with my exact .mdl numbers, I don't know JWs either though so you'll have to find that one. Also if you're looking to start modding, the tutorials sections hold a wealth of information, good luck and welcome to LF :waive1:

Archived