Home

Questions about modding(noob)

skyhawk469

I have no experience in modding and just recently finished playing through some of the campaigns in Star Wars Empire at War. As fun as the game is, there are some parts I would like to tweak that I think could make it more enjoyable. I am not looking to create my own 3D models, new units, or new maps. I just want to modify certain aspects of the game that are already in place. The following is a list some of the things I would like to learn how to edit:

-edit existing galactic conquest maps... such as re-arranging the connecting routes between the planets, changing the base income of planets, designating the initial controlling factions of the planets, adjusting the starting funds and units for the factions, and changing the associated objectives/events/storyline

-designate when certain heroes can appear in a galactic conquest campaign

-tweak the abilities of a hero... such as change how long it takes for a special ability of a character to recharge after being activated

-edit the characteristics of certain vehicles such as the amount of damage they inflict or receive from certain attacks

Is there a program that I need to do all of this? Are some of the things I mentioned impossible to do? I would appreciate any suggestions or help to point me in the right direction.

First off, you'll need to download the FOC map editor and install it... then look into the "/mods/source/data/xml" folder; you'll find a lot of *.xml files.

You can open *.xml files simply with notepad or DL a program (IMO notepad suffices though)

-For editing existing scenarios, open "campaigns_underworld_gc" and edit it (pretty intuitive)

-for adding GC scenarios and modding hero spawns, see [ulr]http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=174695[/url]

-for modding heroe abilities, I think you'll need to look into the "NamedHeroUnits", "HeroCompanies" and the idividual heroes' (e.g. "Units_Hero_Rebel_Gargantuan") files

-for modding units, I think you'll also just need to look into the individual files (just search for "units" in your XML folder)

I haven't done the latter two myself, so I don't know if this is truly the way it's done;

Also, this is pretty short, however editing *.xmls mostly is pretty intuitive and making a list of everything you can edit wouldn't fit onto 10 forum pages, so I suggest you ask specific questions if you encounter any problems...

Thanks for the reply YertyL. I should have mentioned that I don't have the FOC expansion installed, so I assume this is why i cannot locate the file named "campaigns_underworld_gc". Although, I did find a file called "campaigns_singleplayer". Is this file basically the same thing for when you only have EAW installed, or should I be looking for a different file?

I tried to edit the "campaigns_singleplayer" file, but it seems like no matter what I do the changes I make to the file have no effect. I started off by trying to specify the starting forces for the Rebels on the "Alderaan's Demise" campaign. I wanted to confine all of their forces to one planet, so I deleted everything under the starting forces section except for those on one planet. Then I started up the campaign only to see the starting forces that I deleted earlier on many different planets.

I also read through your other post about changing where heroes spawn, but the same thing happened to me. I changed the location where I wanted them to spawn in the referenced files, but they showed up on a different planet than I specified. What could I be doing wrong?

Also, why do I need the map editor? I installed it earlier, but it doesn't seem like it was designed for what I'm trying to do.

I'm starting to figure out what was wrong. The website that you mentioned on your other post was very helpful YertyL. After reading through it, I found out that the game does not actually use the xml files located in the /mods/source/data/xml directory. After following the instructions on that site and placing my edited files in the /StevesEwokMod/data/xml folder and then running the program with the ms-dos executable, everything seems to be working. Thanks for finding that website.

• 2 years later...

Archived