Home

[K1]Problem with identical file names

jimbo32

I ran into a bit of a problem with my Yuthura mod, and I'm hoping that someone has an idea about how to address it.

I modified the *.dlg file aboard the Ebon Hawk as you're being towed to the Leviathan so that it's possible for Yuthura to rescue the group. As I play-tested that part, everything worked great except for Carth and Bastila referring to Juhani (which I was willing to live with).

Then I got to the confrontation with Malak, and Carth started the same dialogue about choosing who would do the rescue. I discovered that the *.dlg file for that scene had the same name as the one I had modded. My solution was to change the name of the modded *.dlg file and hex-edit the script that fires the Ebon Hawk conversation to point to the renamed file.

Once again, everything worked great. Until I got back to the Ebon Hawk where the conversation about Revan is supposed to happen. I again got the "party rescue" dialogue. I discovered that the script that fires the "Revan" *.dlg has the same name as the one I had hex-edited.

The only thing I can think of that will fix this problem is merging the two *.dlg files and attaching conditional scripts to the different branches. Honestly, that'll take way more effort than I'm willing to put forth.

Does anyone have any ideas about a more straight-forward method of fixing this?

I ran into a bit of a problem with my Yuthura mod, and I'm hoping that someone has an idea about how to address it.

(snip)

The only thing I can think of that will fix this problem is merging the two *.dlg files and attaching conditional scripts to the different branches. Honestly, that'll take way more effort than I'm willing to put forth.

Does anyone have any ideas about a more straight-forward method of fixing this?

The easiest way in my opinion would be to put the modified DLG file back into the module data file you extracted it from. That way your modified file would only be used in the module where it should, and not override all files with that name game-wide.

How would I go about that stoffe? I've never modded modules before.

Depends on if you use an installer for your mod or not. If you do you can instruct it to place the DLG file in the RIM file of the module instead of the override folder.

If not you can use a RIM editor to place the DLG file inside a copy of the module RIM file, and then ship the whole RIM file with your mod (though this may cause conflicts with other mods that also modify the same RIM file).

You should be able to use the ERF/RIM editor linked to in my signature for this. If you use TSLPatcher for mod installation it can also insert files into ERF or RIM files the user has (or modify existing GFF format files found within it).

OK, that sounds good. I'm planning to use your patcher with the finished mod, but for testing purposes I think I'll go with editing the RIM directly. Do I just add the DLG file to the RIM and then drop it in override?

Make a backup copy of the RIM file in question so you have something to fall back to in case there are problems. Then open the RIM file and add the DLG file to it, overwriting the existing DLG file, and save the file. Don't move the RIM file to the override folder, keep in in the Modules folder where it currently is.

Archived