Are you going to see LOTR?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to see LOTR?

• yes
    • no
    • What's LOTR?

Guest Luke Skywalker
Originally posted by Merek Of Nexsis

All I can say is that LOTR is great. I'm re-reading the books and there is no series better. From the looks of the trailer these films should bury Star Wars.

I wouldn't say that, but I would say that they are definetly going to shake the ground on which Star Wars has held for a long..... time, the scifi fantasy land.:)

Im still supporting my two favourite movies in there new releases, SW and The Matrix. Its so great though because all 3 of my favourite series are coming out with new movies all within a short time span:)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gama, if you like Star Wars then you automatically like fantasy, even if you don't know it. Star Wars is just a fantasy story told in space. There isn't really anything sci-fi about it actually.

As for the Lord of the Rings, it was written during World War II. Actually it was being written before that, and Hitler rudely decided to slow down the writting process by throwing the world into war;) Since it basically got the current day fantasy genre going, everything in it is a cliche compared to modern works. It's fantasy at it's most basic, and the entire genre shouldn't be judged on it. Especially not the first few chapters, which were written much like the Hobbit, which was meant for children. As the books continued the story turned darker.

In fact before the Lord of the Rings, the vast majority of books were either written for children, or adults. You can thank the Lord of the Rings for all the sci-fi and fantasy books that have followed that were written for an age between the two, thus making the books accessible to every age.

Lord of the Rings is a classic, but it does show it's age. It's simple and timeless, but I wouldn't consider it the best of the genre. Instead it was the beginning of the genre and it's grown and evolved from there.

Besides how do you think trilogies became popular? ;)

Guest Luke Skywalker

I have to condraadict you for a second Nilaar and ask, What is the best book of its genre. I think LOTR is the best series in its genre because it was never finished:) That last book was only half finished, where as say star wars was finished not to long after it started. It gives people a sense of imagination because we will never know what Tolkein wanted to end it with. I think it would have shocked alot of people because he was one of the great geniuses in the area of writing.

If you want a list of some of the best of fantasy Gama, I've got a few for you....

"A Game of Thrones" starts off the Song of Fire and Ice series. Can't remember the author which is kind of embarrasing because at the moment this is my favorite ongoing series in any genre. Filled with politics and battle, many factions rising and falling. You never know what will happen next in this series. Just when you think it is heading one way, it goes the other.

"Dragon Prince" starts off Melanie Rawn's excellant Dragon Prince trilogy and the story later continues in the Dragon Star trilogy. Here you get to watch the rise of a family from the rulers of a minor kindom to the most powerful Empire in the known world. And then the disaster that happens afterward.

"Eye of the World" is the first book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Though the most traditional fantasy book of those listed here, it is well written and a joy to read. It's strength is it's characters who you REALLY start to care for over the course of the series.

I'd suggest staying away from anything with haflings, elves, orcs, or goblins on the cover. Fantasy has moved WAY past those cliches. It's fine in Lord of the Rings but beyond that they get old fast;)

Lord of the Rings is great, but if it's not your thing, that isn't even the tip of the iceburg of what the genre offers. It's Flash Gordon compared to Star Wars in a way;)

Guest Lord Tirion

I always think they should stop calling it a trilogy and just call it a (what the hell do you call a 4 book series? =P). To me, "The Hobbit" should be book 1. It tells of the finding of the ring, the introduction to the hobbits, golum, and Gandalf.

Guest Lord Tirion

I always think they should stop calling it a trilogy and just call it a (what the hell do you call a 4 book series? =P). To me, "The Hobbit" should be book 1. It tells of the finding of the ring, the introduction to the hobbits, golum, and Gandalf.

Guest Gamma732

Well, I don't mean I didn't 'like' it. It was actually pretty well written and made a good use of words, but I just couldn't keep reading it. I don't know, it wasen't bad, but to keep reading it would be a chore. If that makes any sense at all.....

Guest Gamma732

Well, I don't mean I didn't 'like' it. It was actually pretty well written and made a good use of words, but I just couldn't keep reading it. I don't know, it wasen't bad, but to keep reading it would be a chore. If that makes any sense at all.....

Originally posted by Gamma732

Yeah it makes sense...your lazy :D I think you should try and start to read it again...you'll like it :)

Originally posted by Gamma732

Yeah it makes sense...your lazy :D I think you should try and start to read it again...you'll like it :)

Guest Luke Skywalker

Im rereading the entire series to refresh my memory. I forgot about all the hilarious names. :p IE dady tootoes. heee. Anywas remember to go to battlegroundsuk.com and register for the forums!

Guest Luke Skywalker

Im rereading the entire series to refresh my memory. I forgot about all the hilarious names. :p IE dady tootoes. heee. Anywas remember to go to battlegroundsuk.com and register for the forums!

Guest Luke Skywalker

Im halfway done the fellowship of the rings. Cant wait to finish it. I remember most of it now that Im rereading it but the first time I read it I overlooked alot of stuff so Im glad Im rereading it!:)

Guest Luke Skywalker

Im halfway done the fellowship of the rings. Cant wait to finish it. I remember most of it now that Im rereading it but the first time I read it I overlooked alot of stuff so Im glad Im rereading it!:)

Guest Lord Tirion

I am on "The Two Towers" now where the Orcs and Wild Men are trying to siege Helm's Deep =) And behold.. enter the White Rider muwhaha

Archived