Home

Is it possible to modify conversation text in this way?

stevedroid

So I've been trying to play KotOR in widescreen. WidescreenGamingForum has a patch which modifies the game to allow widescreen resolutions. The game looks amazing at 1360x768 (HDTV) using the 1024x768 interface for a nice vertical match.

Everything works fine, except for one big problem: When the game goes letter boxed for conversations, no text appears in the lower pane. Since this is where conversation choices are made, it basically makes the game unplayable. The options themselves still work; you can use number keys or click around in the black until you hit one and the game uses the response as normal - the text just doesn't show up visibly. Oddly enough, text that appears in the top pane shows up fine.

Obviously some kind of conflict between whatever draws the text and the game running at a resolution it wasn't intended to.

I do however have an idea about how to get around this problem and I'd like to know if it's possible. The top pane contains the text of whatever the person you're talking to last said, right? Do you think it would be possible to modify this text so that it also contains the player character responses?

I'm not saying there'd be any functional change, the real responses would of course still reside in the lower pane. I'm just saying that if the responses were displayed in the top pane, then you could at least see what they are, and then use the number keys to make your selection.

If possible, I'm presuming this would entail a huge amount of work modifying the dialogue files, but I'm willing to spend the time and do it myself if someone is willing to give me an overview on how to go about editing the dialogue.

I figured out how to do this, but there are two problems:

1) I was underestimating how huge a task this would be. I would take me probably a year or more to go through all the dialog.

2) It wouldn't work for "looping" conversations - those conversations where you have several discussion options that, once you fully explore one tree, take you back to the original list of options minus the one you selected. I could list the original options in the NPC's text, but once one tree was closed the numbers wouldn't be correct.

Looks like there's still no way to play the game in widescreen :(

Archived