Home

Error reading the CD

UberSkull

I use Windows XP SP2 and I've played and beaten Grim Fandango about 2 years ago. I recently tried playing it again but it won't work.

I put the CD in the drive and it starts the launch menu, then I click on play. A screen comes up saying I need to insert Disc A, even though it is in there and recognized it for the launch menu. The same thing happens with Disc B.

I recently got a new dvd drive and was wondering if there is a conflict with that, maybe the reading speed is too fast or something. I don't know what else would be causing the problem. I was wondering if following this tutorial would help me out http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=171217

If anyone has any idea what I could do please help me. Thanks.

Follow the instructions in the tutorial you linked to so you have all the files copied into the game directory. You also need to modify the registry to play without the cd in the drive. Here's the instructions to play the game without the cd in the drive, click on the thumbnails to see the full size screenshots.

1. Click start, click run, type regedit.exe

2. On the left pane, navigate to the grim fandango folder =>

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Grim Fandango\v1.0

3 On the right pane, right click a blank area, select 'new'=>'string value'

t_grimregm_b140334.jpg

4. Name the new string value 'good_times'

5. Right click on good times and select modify, enter value of 'true'

t_grimreg1m_723df5a.jpg

Archived