Home

Major sound trouble

JonB

Anyone with ideas for this?

400MHz K6-2, GeForce MX, Sound Blaster PCI128, 128Mb

The cutscenes work fine. The playable parts are loaded with static. That static becomes so bad the sound must be turned off.

All drivers are fresh. Grim Fandango works fine - even the ultra-buggy Dungeon Keeper 2 runs fine on this machine but EMI has audio trouble.

I changed sound cards to a plain OPL card. No diff. I change video cards to an ATI Rage and the audio is fixed but the game crashes left and right.

All the DirectX tests run fine.

No hardware conflicts that Windows knows about.

Any ideas?

Dunno... check through LucasArts' web site to see if their help section can do you any good, download any available patches (both for EMI and your hardware drivers), and if all else fails, e-mail them with your system specs and situation. Also, are you using DirectX 7.x or DirectX 8?

Good luck!

------------------

"Show me a man who's gentle and kind, and I'll show you a loser."

-Meet the Parents

• 3 weeks later...

Jon, I also have a SB PCI 128 which had (note the had) the latest drivers installed and I was also getting the sound problems. I solved that by installing the drivers provided with the card (ie on the CD) and the sound is now great. I still need to fix the locking up problem but I'm 50% of the way there!!!

Archived