Home

patch 1.1

jody454545

I had exactly the same problem, and the cause turned out to be that my game folder was compressed. That is, I use FreeSpace 1.03 to compress as many folders as I can--like WinZip and other such programs, you can save about 50% of your disk space, but unlike them FreeSpace allows you to continue using your files as though they weren't compressed at all.

Usually...

Unfortunately, aside from the Windows folder and its own self, which the program won't allow you to compress in the first place, there are cases where this compression screws up the works; anti-virus programs, for a major example. And in this case, it apparently made the compressed EfMI files unrecognizable to the update program. As soon as I decompressed the folder, the update installed just fine. The same thing happened, by the way, with the update for Grim Fandango, also of course by LucasArts.

Is there a chance that something similar is true with your computer? In any case, please let us know how it turns out. De-bugging the monkeys is getting to be a big part of the game!

--Paul Nelson

I don't have FreeSpace, and I don't think the game is compressed. I'm not the only one who uses the PC though, so here might be something similar going on that I don't know about...

Originally posted by futharkred:

I had exactly the same problem, and the cause turned out to be that my game folder was compressed. That is, I use FreeSpace 1.03 to compress as many folders as I can--like WinZip and other such programs, you can save about 50% of your disk space, but unlike them FreeSpace allows you to continue using your files as though they weren't compressed at all.

Usually...

Unfortunately, aside from the Windows folder and its own self, which the program won't allow you to compress in the first place, there are cases where this compression screws up the works; anti-virus programs, for a major example. And in this case, it apparently made the compressed EfMI files unrecognizable to the update program. As soon as I decompressed the folder, the update installed just fine. The same thing happened, by the way, with the update for Grim Fandango, also of course by LucasArts.

Is there a chance that something similar is true with your computer? In any case, please let us know how it turns out. De-bugging the monkeys is getting to be a big part of the game!

--Paul Nelson

Archived