Home

Slow Performance Issues on Mac...(long)

SeanMan

I am using a PowerMac 6500/225 that is upgraded with a Sonnet L2 G3/400 1MB. I have 96MB RAM, OS 8.6 and was using a MacWizard Voodoo2. The game was running OK with that setup but I could not view the cut scenes due to the Voodoo2.

I ordered a Voodoo3 and flashed it to Mac with the latest B13 ROM/Drivers. I was having trouble getting the game to display correctly. The resolution seemed to be a problem. The game would start but the as soon as it showed Guybrush lashed to the mast everything was distorted and very pixelated (is that a word?) with a multi-colored background. I tried different extension sets and at one point got the game to start though I couldn't view the cut scenes. The game played very quickly though (with VM on at about 200MB and 128MB allocated to EFMI). I then ran with minimal extensions (Sonnet L2, 3DFX OpenGL, 3DFX Accelerator, OpenGL, Apple CD/DVD and a couple of control panels). I then got the game to start and everything looked great. The cutscenes played at full speed and looked fine. When it finally ended the cut scenes and went to the game it was extremely slow. The characters are moving very slowly (compared to how quick they were before). But when I play a cut scene it is normal speed.

Anyone have any idea why it would be slowing down now? It was playing quickly before (but there did not seem to be any 3DFX acceleration). Now that the 3D is working it is bogged way down. Any ideas on extension sets? Do I just need more memory (I am limited to 128 total on my MB).

Thank you, in advance.

Sean.

Sounds like some kind of memory leak, but alas, I am unfamiliar with Macs to be of any assistance... and I don't think there are many Mac users on this forum.

FWIW, I don't think you're lacking in the memory department, but check your 3D drivers, as I suspect one of them might be the culprit.

Have you tried to contact LucasArts for tech support?

------------------

brief.gif

"...and the monkey flips the switch."

Major Don West, Lost in Space

well i USED to know a bit about macs but they changed alot in the last 5 years..

if its the video card idk what u can do, ull need to get the latest mac drivers for it

if its just a memory thing, u could TRY to pump more of your availiable ram into the prog...

heres how (at least in OS7 (back in the day)): click the apple menu-->about this computer (or something like that)--> note how much free/available memory u have when nothing but the os is running.

now find the MI4 icon and do an info on it (command+i) then tell the prog to use almost as much memory as u had availiable (leave like 16mb tho, eg. u have 80mb left, tell MI4 to use 64)

hopefully this isnt too confusing, but it might help you out

------------------

nfgrunge.gif

STILL

~What could this be, too much MTV? Chalk another fad up for its fall into infamy.

What is in a standard if it changes all the time? You’re still having trouble in defining your own kind.-Kling

~Stop pretending that you don't want me.

Archived