Home

Help! Terrible crackly sound

Elwin

All sound is terribly broken up making the game unplayable (a major disappointment for my family). System: Athlon 1300 mz processor, Win98, DirectX 8, Voodoo 3 3000 w/latest drivers, 3D sound is built into motherboard and is the VIA686B. Motherboard is FIC AZ11E and chipset is VIA Apollo KT133. I have the latest drivers for the VIA sound. I've set my screen resolution to 16 bit color, and have also selected the EMI option "force 16 bit color".

Guest grannen

This is from LucasArt Support Info:

"Testing your Sound Card in DirectX Diagnostics

After installing DirectX 7.0a, you can run the DirectX Diagnostics program to test your sound card. To do this:

Insert the Escape from Monkey Island Disc # 1 in the CD-ROM drive.

Select Help from the Escape from Monkey Island launcher.

Select Analyze your Computer.

Click on DirectX Diagnostics. This takes you to the DirectX Diagnostics screen

Click the tab that says Sound and then click on Test. If your card fails these tests, you may have problems running Escape from Monkey Island or any other program that requires DirectX."

------------------

Calvin.gifHobbes.gif and Grannen

I didn't install DirectX 7 from the MI4 CD. A few days ago I downloaded the latest DirectX 8 from Microsoft's website and installed it. I have gone thru the DirectX Diags (via EMI launcher/Analyze your Computer) and all audio and video DirectX tests passed okay.

Originally posted by Grannen:

This is from LucasArt Support Info:

"Testing your Sound Card in DirectX Diagnostics

After installing DirectX 7.0a, you can run the DirectX Diagnostics program to test your sound card. To do this:

Insert the Escape from Monkey Island Disc # 1 in the CD-ROM drive.

Select Help from the Escape from Monkey Island launcher.

Select Analyze your Computer.

Click on DirectX Diagnostics. This takes you to the DirectX Diagnostics screen

Click the tab that says Sound and then click on Test. If your card fails these tests, you may have problems running Escape from Monkey Island or any other program that requires DirectX."

I have heard that when you install a new Direct X version,the older one must be installed to complete.F.ex if you install DirectX 8 you must have DirectX 7 installed on your computer.I think it is like that,but I'm not sure.

------------------

mortalkombat.jpg

Prepare for your final journey!

(Note my reply to Grannen regarding the DirectX tests). It's a new system with the latest drivers for everything. I'm not having problems with any other games and on those the on-motherboard 3D sound sounds great.

Curiously, as I was playing with various settings (Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio/Hardware Acceleration and Win screen resolution before running the EMI launcher), one time (and one time only), the game and sound worked perfectly. But, using those same settings again, it would never work again after that. I have spent many many hours on this trying every combination of anything related to sound settings I can find on the system.

The system has the Athlon 1.3 Ghz processor, I wonder if that could somehow be the source of the problem?

Originally posted by Drunken_Sailor:

Sounds strange.Have you tried that what Grannen said?It seems that the problem is with your computer.

Sounds strange, but its worth a try. Are you saying that what I need to do is:

1) Uninstall DirectX 8 (I assume that can be done thru Control Panel/Add/Remove programs??),

2) Install DirectX7 from the EMI CD, and

3) Install DirectX 8 over the DirectX 7 installation.

Originally posted by Drunken_Sailor:

I have heard that when you install a new Direct X version,the older one must be installed to complete.F.ex if you install DirectX 8 you must have DirectX 7 installed on your computer.I think it is like that,but I'm not sure.

Guest grannen

1. It is not possible to uninstall DirectX. (Unless you use brutal force!)

2. I have no idea what is wrong but here are some of my own settings:

(As I have Swedish Win version I am guessing what the english text is in your case)

Controlpanel/Multimedia/Audio - "Use available unit (in both squares)" and the box with the text "Only use preselected.." is unchecked.

Controlpanel/Multimedia/Midi - "Standard" is selected.

Controlpanel/Multimedia/CDMusic - Correct drive is selected.

3. Controlpanel/System/Performance/Virtuel Memory - "Windows takes care of it"

Finally:

4. Start EMI and when a game starts press F1 and select Options/Alter Gee Whiz Factor and select Minimal for all settings (use left/right arrow keys). That will minimize the workload for the memory. If it works, start trouble shooting from there.

5. If you use a Joystick/Gamepad then disconnect and try with the keyboard only.

6. Re configuration:

Enable Direct 3D

Force 16 Bit Color

smile.gif

------------------

Calvin.gifHobbes.gif and Grannen

Thanks for all those suggestions. I tried them all, and none worked. BUT... I finally met with success. I did a total reinstall of Windows 98, and after that EMI sound works great. Just hope it doesn't go bad again before we finish the game. Thanks again.

Originally posted by Grannen:

1. It is not possible to uninstall DirectX. (Unless you use brutal force!)

2. I have no idea what is wrong but here are some of my own settings:

(As I have Swedish Win version I am guessing what the english text is in your case)

Controlpanel/Multimedia/Audio - "Use available unit (in both squares)" and the box with the text "Only use preselected.." is unchecked.

Controlpanel/Multimedia/Midi - "Standard" is selected.

Controlpanel/Multimedia/CDMusic - Correct drive is selected.

3. Controlpanel/System/Performance/Virtuel Memory - "Windows takes care of it"

Finally:

4. Start EMI and when a game starts press F1 and select Options/Alter Gee Whiz Factor and select Minimal for all settings (use left/right arrow keys). That will minimize the workload for the memory. If it works, start trouble shooting from there.

5. If you use a Joystick/Gamepad then disconnect and try with the keyboard only.

6. Re configuration:

Enable Direct 3D

Force 16 Bit Color

smile.gif

Archived