Home

Graphics Problem/ Stumped

Pookie

I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem... I have both the latest directX and the latest drivers for my video and motherboard... But occasionally when I am playing graphics will change to really odd colors (hot pink, highlighter green) and the pixels seem messed up as well. Set to 16 bit color, 600 x 480... It only happens randomly while playing.

Guest grannen

In the EMI Menu select Options - Configuration Options - Trouble Shooting

and try with Enable Direct3D and Force 16 Bit Color.

------------------

Calvin.gifHobbes.gif and Grannen

Well, it worked for a while... but after about five minutes of gameplay (which is quite normal) I had corruption again. I do not know what the problem is, but if I save and restart the application, then the color corruption disappears. However, if I were to stay in the game and continue playing (which is possible) once a background has been corrupted, it remains corrupted in the exact same way. So if the door is green and pink, then if I were to leave and come back, it would still be green and pink. If anyone has any other ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I had been looking at your earlier replies on other posts and found the EMI patch that you have mentioned. I have downloaded it and installed it, however I have not seen a difference in the problem. In response to InfinitySquared, I have 96mb of RAM, and my virtual memory is controled by windows. Suggestions on the next course of action? Thanks!

Guest grannen

Be careful when doing following:

Goto Start - Run and type sysedit

Select System.ini and go down to

[vcache]

Insert or modify these two lines

MaxFileCache=12288

MinFileCache=2048

But make a note of your present numbers!

Save and reboot.

Those numbers are from my own System.ini and hopefully it will work for you too.

------------------

Originally posted by Grannen:

Be careful when doing following:

Goto Start - Run and type sysedit

Select System.ini and go down to

[vcache]

Insert or modify these two lines

MaxFileCache=12288

MinFileCache=2048

But make a note of your present numbers!

Save and reboot.

Those numbers are from my own System.ini and hopefully it will work for you too.

Aren't those system specific though?

------------------

sig.jpg

I have about 5 GB of free hard drive space, so no worries about that. I messed with the vitual memory settings, and instead of fixing the problem, it just stated causing other problems as well (like the computer slowing down and such) so I just set it back to let Windows control. I am going to go back to the game and capture a screen shot of the problem so that you can see what I see. Thanks for the advice!

http://www.angelfire.com/ab5/tempspace/help.jpg

**Angelfire is being stupid. Please copy/paste into address bar in order to see image**

That is what it looks like whenever it screws up. Last time it happened, it actually booted me out of the game back into windows and shut down the game completely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Pookie (edited July 14, 2001).]

Guest grannen

But did you try with the settings in the system.ini file?

And how large is your memory on the graphic card?

------------------

If it were me, I would just do a clean reinstall of Windows. I can almost guaruntee that it will fix any of your problems. Always works for me. Before that I would try getting new drivers for your motherboard, video card, and try setting your AGP apeture size in your BIOS to half of your physical RAM. I can't think of anymore tips.l

------------------

sig.jpg

If it were me, I would just do a clean reinstall of Windows. I can almost guaruntee that it will fix any of your problems. Always works for me. Before that I would try getting new drivers for your motherboard, video card, and try setting your AGP apeture size in your BIOS to half of your physical RAM. I can't think of anymore tips.l

------------------

sig.jpg

Archived