Home

What about some kind of.....

schmonkey

Co-operative match? So you can play the game with a partner (on another machine) and work out the problems together.

ie. someone would be Guybrush, and some else would be his daredevil, handsome sidekick... Schmonkey Boy!!

erm... or something like that! Sound like a good idea?

Guest Guybrush112

eeewwwww. thats sickening. How could you play a two player MI....once again....eaaeeewwwwwwvvv!

------------------

"Mortal fool! Release me from this retched tomb! I will hide your keysin your upholstered furniture! And never more will you be able to find socks that match!"

Ooops... seems like I hit a sore spot there!!

Just trying to think up other ideas about EMI. One thing about the demo I thought, was it was a shame you didn't get to have a go at building up your insults.... I really want to see the methods used for this version!!

Schmonkey, do you mean having two characters, that you control in different parts of the game, or having two networked computers, or computers connected over the Internet? I suppose it could work, but I think that should be separate from the main single player game. Maybe an extra story or two, that can be completed in two player, or require two players to complete a puzzle. I suppose it would be possible, maybe a mod or add-on. wink.gif

------------------

"You're a bunch of foul-smelling, grog-swilling pigs"

I did actually mean that you could play a 2-player game (much like Perfect Dark) over a network or internet and work together to solve the puzzles... but there would have to be some parts which only one of the characters could do: i.e. if one was female and one male, at some point the female character would have to distract/seduce a male plot character so that the male character could sneak past. But the female character would have to use the correct conversation lines otherwise the guard would lose interest and catch the other character.

Just an idea? But yes, it would have to be a sub-game or mod.

This is what sunk Space Quest 7 and it looks like an entirely unsurmountable problem.

Multiplayer adventure games don't work. Puzzle adventures are, like it or not, a solo gamer genre.

There was talk of a Maniac Mansion 3 in which this approach would be used. But then we realised that someone who was for instance Hoagie would have to wait around for ages with nothing to do while the Bernard player tried to figure something out in his area so that Hoagie could progress. Didn't sound too good.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rapp Scallion

It would be fun with a monkey island chat program. First do yo choose character and then walk around in maybe Puerto Pollo and find other characters to chat with. Maybe you could choose island too. Maybe.

-Rapp Scallion-

• 2 weeks later...

Have a virtua 'Tri-Island Area' where you become a mighty pirate, get a ship, learn the art of insult swordfighting and steal your riches..

or run a bar in Melee Island....

Small sub quests could be added with the first person completing it getting a reward, second a smaller prize and so on.

The possibilities are endless, but the programming would be a nightmare!!

Guest C Shutt

That is such a myopic attitude. "<em>This is what adventure games are like, so you can't add anything original to a game, or it won't be an adventure anymore</em>". Game genres need to innovate to survive.

Guest Guybrush112

C Shutt, we are not saying that adventure games have to be one thing. Its just that we don't want to change the style of MI. Plus, an RPG? I'm disgusted! In the words of Otis, "Eeeewwvv-yicky"

------------------

"You may have seen me in your nightmares. I'm THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!"

"Yipe."--Figurehead &

Guybrush

Guest C Shutt

No one said it should be an RPG. They just suggested ideas to improve the genre that didn't fit with your extremely narrow view of what an adventure game should be.

Reply to MORELLO:

Er, don't you think Escape from Monkey island is a little bit like an RPG! I'd draw a little comparision with Final Fantasy 7 & 8 only with the magic and fighting skills, but maybe I'm wrong, cos' I ahven't really played them, and you can die in them.

Define the difference between the two genres!

------------------

"I Trust You About As Far As I Can Throw Manhattan!"

Jeez C Shutt...you don't have to call someone narrow minded just cuz they have a different opinion.

Maybe some people do enjoy Monkey Island because of the way it is. They just think that maybe it won't be as good if it wasn't done the traditional way.

Sometimes change is good, sometimes it's not. Who knows? smile.gif And maybe that multiplayer option will be real in future MI games? ^_^

Guest ZeroXcape

I love the idea!

That would actually be quite helpful because you could get more accomplished. (That would hopefully make the games much longer.)

This idea would probably be more like the typical RPG's instead of Adventure games.

Another nice feature is that if it was an online adventure game, the game could change. Puzzels could come in different order, updates could always be included, and maby best of all, people could edit their own scenarios.

On-line is the way to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Online Adventure games in the next couple years.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

yeah!!! id be happy to see a little "mini" insult sword fighting/ anyother sport game!!

that would make BANK!!

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

I have a theory about ants. I figure that if I step on every ant I see, then eventually by natural selection the ants will evolve to avoid me. It may take a few million years, but I'm patient.

I have a similar theory about voting against the presidential candidates who equally annoy me, but they evolve even more slowly.

Guest Guybrush112

orrigonally posted by freakeybob:

Define the difference between the two genres!

the difference between an RPG and an adventure game is this: an RPG you can die, their is only one task to be completed at a time, it is multiplayer compatible, it is usually real time

in an adventure game you can complete different tasks in different orders, it is not real time, it is based on puzzles and cinima-basd storylines

------------------

"You may have seen me in your nightmares. I'm THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!"

"Yipe."--Figurehead &

Guybrush

it would be great but you'd need the choice of if you want to go solo or multiplayer and you'd need comunication with your co-player like the on the comp charactors you chose something to say from a list but to talk to your co-player you should be able to engage a conversation with them thats just type what you want to say and have a option of using voice msges with themif you both have micro-phones

• 2 weeks later...

HOW ABOUT THIS? its just an idea dont bite my head off

A multiplayer version of monkey island virtual on the internet where u didnt have to do tasks if you didnt want to u just do things like steel other players ships and work your way up to king of the tri island area unless someone beats you to it

Archived