Home

Current Guybrush is killing M-I

DrEj

Serious? Are you serious? When has Monkey Island EVER been serious?

Originally posted by DrEj:

Guybrush is killing E-M-I, i liked it when it was serious, now it is full of dumb humor, more seriousnous, they went to far in E-M-I, M-I-5 better be more serious

the opening act of mi1, when the logo comes up, the music is playing, but not thereafter.

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

for sale: worn out signature, good condition, original, funny. $20 obo

will trade for mint shelby gt500.

Guest ZeroXcape

The opening ACT of SMI, when the logo comes up and the music is playing, is probably one of the most motivating scenes that I can remember in a video game. Gotta love it.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

Guest C Shutt

DrEj is kind of right, though. The original Monkey Island may not have been "serious" but it was far more subtle and ironic than the moronic "humour" in Escape from Monkey Island.

------------------

"You want me?

Fucking well come and find me,

I'll be waiting,

With a gun and a pack of sandwiches."

-Talk Show Host, Radiohead.

The humor is the same, it just seemed more subtle due to the lack of voice and limitations of the graphics back then.

Originally posted by C Shutt:

DrEj is kind of right, though. The original Monkey Island may not have been "serious" but it was far more subtle and ironic than the moronic "humour" in Escape from Monkey Island.

Originally posted by ZeroXcape:

The opening ACT of SMI, when the logo comes up and the music is playing, is probably one of the most motivating scenes that I can remember in a video game. Gotta love it.

I put it down to the fact that it starts of as a single tone... when the lucasfilm games (remember them?) logo appeared & there was that little solo bit, i thought, that was cool... cant get much better though... then the Island appeared... & BOOM!!!... the best music that had ever been piped through my 8-bit SB 2.0 was being piped from the speakers...

then it went silent... i pressed Ctrl-R jsut to hear it again smile.gif

------------------

LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?

timmya.gif

K Chutt is right, when i said guysbrush is Killing M-I i meant what he said, before there was some small humor and stuff and Guybrush got it by fluke, but now they made guysbrush a TOTAL MORON, he is stuckup stupid and arrogant, it is just to sad,i hate to say this word but i have to, M-I is not way to CORNY...

K Chutt is right, when i said guysbrush is Killing M-I i meant what he said, before there was some small humor and stuff and Guybrush got it by fluke, but now they made guysbrush a TOTAL MORON, he is stuckup stupid and arrogant, it is just to sad,i hate to say this word but i have to, M-I is not way to CORNY...

Actually, Guybrush was as stupid and moronic in MI1 & MI2, as he has been in MI3 & MI4.

MI1:

- I want to be a fireman!

- Hey, I'm not such a wimp after all!

- Multiple misuses of the "Well you fight like a cow!"

MI2:

- Fruit coctails took the place of Porcelin as Guybrush's unnatural hatred...

- Then who roughs up the transients and eats all the donuts? (In response to Largo's No Police line...)

- The whole "How Much Wood could a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck could chuck wood" exchange he had with the Woodsmith

- HE ACTUALLY WROTE DOWN THE WORDS TO THE HEADBONE'S CONNECTED TO THE SOMETHING BONE!!!

- And let's face it, his exchange w/ Elaine was less than swauve...

yes, but he did that with being less of a dork, sure he didnt get the girl, but did he turn the girl into gold using an OBVIOUSLY cursed ring???

------------------

(¸.·'``'·.¸¸.·'`'·.¸¸.,.,.¸.·'´`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸)

«´¨`·.¸¸.*NewFoundGloryBoy* .¸¸.·´¨`»

(`'·.¸¸.·'´`'·.¸.·''´`'`'`'·.¸¸.·'´´`'·.¸¸.·'´´)

America was founded on three basic principles, Liberty, Equality and FRATERNITY PARTIES!!

parts one and two were similar, three and four similar unto each other as well. the tone of the humor shifted after 2 due to ron's abscence. the humor was more slight. it was kind of a goofy pirate story. parts 3 and 4 were more of a pirate parody. there's a subtle difference. 3 and 4 have more of an "airplane!" or "naked gun" kinda feel. 3 and 4 are both good games, just sort of different from the first two.

you say guybrush is killing the series? thats silly. he's a character, an actor. its just a voice. he's reading lines written by other people. now maybe the writers are killing the series... thats possible. i disagree with that though.

the humor has become more "in your face" thats all.

Originally posted by Guybrush UK:

I put it down to the fact that it starts of as a single tone... when the lucasfilm games (remember them?) logo appeared & there was that little solo bit, i thought, that was cool... cant get much better though... then the Island appeared... & BOOM!!!... the best music that had ever been piped through my 8-bit SB 2.0 was being piped from the speakers...

then it went silent... i pressed Ctrl-R jsut to hear it again smile.gif

I played SMI on the Amiga and the sound was amazing. I still blast the forest mod every once in a while it is that good. And the beginning? WOW! Still my favorite music to the theme.

[This message has been edited by salvius (edited December 15, 2000).]

Archived