Home

How long will Guybrush live?

StarEye

I have kept a very close eye on Monkey Island since the first one, and I must admit - I sometimes feel I actually live for the games. They are almost constantly dragging me from reality and into it's mysterious world'o'monkeys.

To the point. Lately I have been feeling that the Monkey Island series is dying, but not only because Ron Gilbert isn't making them. When I play the two first Monkey games, I'm spewed back to the time when I eagerly awaited Monkey 2 for my Amiga 500, and before that Monkey 1 had my attention.

These days, when Monkey 3 and 4 are out, I have played them both thoroughly I think, and must admit, though I loved them, they are much much weaker than other excellent adventure games (like The Longest Journey or Grim Fandango)! The Monkey Island is all about beating the crap out of all other adventure-titles in terms of Innovation, Graphics, Gameplay, Story - you name it. None of the two latest installments have done that. I mean, when I wait for a Monkey Island game i accept it to be like:

Look Out, The King Is Back To Show You How It's Done!!!

Know what I mean. This CMI or EMI does not. I like them both, but TLJ and GRIM are much ahead of them anyway... unfortunately. They should try something new... what do you think?

Sorry for writing so much... I just had to let it out?

I don't think there will be too many more MI games if they were all are going to be like EMI. What I personally think LucasArts should do is return to a 2-D environment, which would please all the hardcore MI fans. They should focus on a good story and jokes, because I believe EMI was pretty poor in that regard. The 3-D didn't work for me and I believe that a 2-D world drew me in better to the story. Although I don't think that this will ever happen because of the popularity of 3-D adventures like Grim Fandango and EMI among the masses. If only Ron Gilbert was still involved in the writing of the MI series, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

------------------

Oh there's a monkey in my pocket/And he's stealing all my change/His stare is blank and glassy/I suspect that he's deranged.

newbies scare me

------------------

"Don't look at me, i just do what the voices in my head tell me to"

\/ R-Lt.JPG -Lieutenant on elite force board

/\ T-LtCdr.JPG -three headed monkey on escape from monkey island board

R-capt.JPG -Captain of the timeship U.S.S. Mad Monkey NCC-51241

R-Lt.JPG - Lieutenant on the HYL board

signature10.gif

Archived