Home

Masterpieces

TorQular

For me to tell you that LucasArts owns all is just redundant because we all know that they are the be-all and the end-all of all things adventure. DoTT pretty much defined the modern-day adventure game, and the Monkey Island series is just carrying on the legacy. So instead of listing every LucasArts or mainstream Sierra adventure as a masterpiece won't help anyone here. Having said that, let's list some of the other mandatory adventures that everyone must have, by law, or else may the adventure game cops arrest anyone who doesn't have them. I must say that Titanic: Adventure Out of Time © CyberFlix and The Last Express © BroderBund are boat and train masterpieces, respectively. Some have acknowledged this, and I must say, out of all the semi-history adventures I have never seen such games as brilliant as these that can encapsulate a moment where you, the player, actually feel as if you were actually there. The graphics, plot, music, intervening movies, characters, navigation, and especially the atmosphere are top-notch, giving games like Myst a run for their money. It's the overall effect, emotions, and nostalgia that makes these games so powerful. We need more quality games like these, not necessarily historical based, just outstanding games in the point/click graphical, puzzle-solving, character interacting, inventory and item-trading, cut-scene and movie intervening realm. Some of the other masterpieces I can name would be the Broken Sword series and Touche: Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer. There are many other underground hidden jewels buried in this Quake-infested mainstream gaming world that may never be discovered unless we spread the word.

TorQular

very eliquently said

------------------

nfgrunge.gif

STILL

~What could this be, too much MTV? Chalk another fad up for its fall into infamy.

What is in a standard if it changes all the time? You’re still having trouble in defining your own kind.-Kling

~Stop pretending that you don't want me.

Archived