Home

What kind of games do you enjoy?

Just wondering, because there are a lot of different opinions on gaming. For example, the guys at the www.obi-wankenobi.net were discussing to buy EMI, but only a couple percents of them would buy it.

I for one have very mixed opinions about games. I like action games like the Star Wars series, I love the Adventure games of Monkey Island, and RPG's have a high star with me also. I liked the "adventure" game Indy Infernal too. Although it was no Adventure game, I liked it.

My favourite games are the MI series, the Star Wars games, and a lot of RPG's

Guest ZeroXcape

Anything that can keep my interest for more then a day is worth buying. Shooters are fun, but only after you get way into them, (ex. Half-Life, Counter-Strike, TFC). I can find almost any adventure game fun.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

Nothing beats a good console RPG, or a good comsole sports title.

On the computer, I would have to go with First person shooters...mainly because you can always play new people in a multiplayer server.

And adventures...although they are the same everytime, they are great the first few times around.

Adios,

-Kighr

------------------

I got three heads...where are your other two?

Well, adventure games are my personal favorite, I'm playing Gabriel Knight 3 right now (it's quite good). Sports games are a no-no. Then there are games that match my interests, like the Wheel of Time FPS, and some Star Trek games, that I play.

Oh - right now I'm also looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever, for the pure coolness of the original. I hope it'll be out this year...

Personally I think all games have derived from the adventure genre. I love action games (FPS) like Half-Life. Why? Because of the NPC interaction, atmosphere, and story. ALl those are derived from adventure games. RPGs were all but dead. Then came Baldurs Gate. It had adventure elements in it aswell.

Shenmue on the Dreamcast looks awsome. That is what adventure games should look to become. That way theyll be able to compete with other genres easily. Its got a good story, character interaction, street fighting, and the ability to interact with EVERYTHING! Yes EVERYTHING you see you can use in some way. Plus its strong in the fact that you can ride vehicles and stuff.

Eh? Half-Life didn't really get those things from the adventure genre, it got it more from the original System Shock, but mostly because they were trying to give it an action movie type of feel. RPGs like Baldurs Gate have had that stuff in it for a long time. These games do have alot of similarities with adventure, but I wouldn't say they were derived from it.

[This message has been edited by Ydon (edited May 19, 2000).]

I guess what Im trying to say is that adventure games cant stand by themselves as we have seen with CMI and GF. Great games, but poor sales.

So people like us are gonna have to turn to RPGs and games like Shenmue which takes LEC adventure games to the next level such as acctual combat.

But Im sure LEC will keep on releasing adventure games every one in a while.

Another forum I go to (Evilavatar) there are many of us who want FPS to have stronger story lines and interaction like adventure games do.

System Shock 2 was a great game BTW. Talk about atmosphere and FEAR!!!

I never played the original, just playing SS2 currently.

GF and CMI had poor sales? I don't think so...

And SS2 does rock, as did SS1... unfortunatly the interface is so complex, and the engine is so outdated its not that fun in comparison with newer games frown.gif.

[This message has been edited by Ydon (edited May 19, 2000).]

Guest ZeroXcape

On a quick little note, System Shock was Game of the Year way back when. SS2 didn't ammount to whole much except for a few editor choice awards. rolleyes.gif

As far as Adventure players having to turn to RPG's....Never!

Adventure games will always be around, always.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

Guest ZeroXcape

I don't know. These one month starwars titles are becoming a joke :|

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

yeah the star war titles are really getting on my nerves.

I mean do we really need that many of them! rolleyes.gif No more PLEASE?

make some more classic adventure games please LucasArts.

[This message has been edited by Soul_Reaver (edited May 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Soul_Reaver (edited May 24, 2000).]

The Star Wars games are really losing thier quality.

I used to enjoy waiting for a good SW games. Nowadays they dont seem that great. Im looking forward to Obi-Wan and JPB for the dreamcast though.

CMI and GF did no breakeven. We might enjoy the games but the bottom line is that the developers want to make profit. It is their lively hood after all.

I have a feeling that EMI will do better sine its 3D and the more hardcore Quake guys might be inticed into giving it a look. Plus why not port it to the Dreamcast, the DC uses Windows Ce, porting wont be hard and the conroller will be great. Plus console titles always sell much larger number sine there are more console players.

Not too sure about CMI but at Gamespot they had a "Question of the Week" about adventre games or something. Grim Fandango was mentioned and they siad that it was a great game and all that yet it didnt do to well.

It was definately from Gamespot.

Besides its a so called "dying" market as far as adventure games are concerned. I think that is crap. They just need more advertising and stuff. Port the things over to consoles, theyll sell like hot cakes there.

Ok, after some research I found it. The following is a quote from Gamespot's question of the week; What is your al time favorite Adventure game?

"Adventure gamers were hoping recent releases such as LucasArts' Curse of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango would revive the genre, but despite excellent reviews and critical acclaim for both games, sales were mediocre."

There you go.

Here is the http://www.gamespot.com/features/question/051500/

I dont know HTML so just copy and paste.

Kinda sad, great games but poor sales.

[This message has been edited by LeChuck (edited May 24, 2000).]

Guest ZeroXcape

Just as a little follow up. In 1998 everyone gave Grim Fandango "adventure game of the year," except Gamespot. Gamespot gave Grim Fandango "Game of the Year."

That's the first time an adventure game was voted best of the year in all genres. Gamespot *really* liked GF.

------------------

ZeroXcape

EMI.com Webmaster

zeroxcape@escapemi.com

Archived