Home

Which Characters Should be in JK2

techsurfer

Guest Krayt Tion

What if someone finds more fun participating in a good story that they know is a part of the larger, mostly sensible whole of an Expanded Universe? What if it is more enjoyable for someone to recognize a character appearing in the game for what they already know about that character from the novels? There is background, story, and ultimately part of a universe that when properly linked up is brought to the game by the character, adding pre-existing character depth and added immersion, a large part of fun for many.

My point here is that continuity can help make the game more fun for some, while others could care less about that to have a good time. Fun is so relative that it isn't an accurate gauge for the analysis of game designs by an individual, except on the most wide-spread fundamental levels and in extreme circumstances, which I do not think we are dealing with here.

When you fail to consider any existing actions of a movie/EU novel character (on an overall EU basis) when writing him into the game, you create a dichotomy between the game world and the EU novel world that immediately is apparent and bothersome to some. Surely they could write a good story but at the same time ensure that some decent continuity is in place if they are going to bring in big-name characters.

This wouldn't hurt anyone who is just interested in an individual story, and not that story in a greater context, to take this approach. In the end you still have a good story, but you don't have to isolate others that prefer being part of the larger whole at the same time. Everyone wins, unless one assumes that looking into continuity will be such a dramatic strain on time and resources that it would hinder the development in other areas... which I would doubt.

Furthermore, I don't see how the presence of existing continuity errors in the DF series is a good enough reason to continue with the lax continuity standards and not finally get on that ball. What's done is done, and while continuity will never be perfect in the DF Series, they can still improve it- and there is no better time to start then now.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]

i think that they should have a variety of characters, especially in multiplayer..some from the past some new ones as well, all major characters like darth maul, obi wan, boba fett, maybe even yoda or maw, this way all the characters have models of different shapes and sizes making each character more diverse and allows u to play with some old favs, unlike orignal JK which had pretty much same model just differnt skin for each model.

i think that they should have a variety of characters, especially in multiplayer..some from the past some new ones as well, all major characters like darth maul, obi wan, boba fett, maybe even yoda or maw, this way all the characters have models of different shapes and sizes making each character more diverse and allows u to play with some old favs, unlike orignal JK which had pretty much same model just differnt skin for each model.

Archived