Home

Lightsaber moves, parries, etc... questions

Baleine

Button mashers beware!

In Raven's previous melee game a decent player could dismember limb by limb a room full of button mashing lammers. In a one on three confrontation, it was common to see a good blade dueler stand his ground (or evade and strike) frag after frag... until the lammers left the server.

Auto block is critical when lag is a concern. When is lag not a concern? If I remember correctly Raven used auto block thus. If you were standing facing your opponent you would always block and a block would stun your opponent momentarily allowing for a counter attack. If you were in walk mode forward, back, side step you could also block. When you were not facing the attacker, running, strafing, jumping, rolling and/or attacking you were vulnerable. If the attacker out flanked you then you were vulnerable. When you block in real life you do NOT think about it, you do IT automatically, otherwise your dead.

This allowed for a whole new form of fighting not commonly found in an internet game - "defensive or counter fighting". You could stand your ground or evade with ease. A single duel during clan tournaments could last up to 5 minutes. Real life fencers and martial artists found this control system very life like.

After constant requests from the community, Raven released a dueling patch several month after the game released with the addition of new models and skins and new attacks. So there appears to be an attitude of "there is always room for improvement" at Raven.

For those of you concerned about not getting what you want, you should rest at ease. In my opinion Lucas Arts has chosen the best developer for the job. I have tried all melee style games in hopes of finding an equal to Heretic 2 ...that has not yet happen.

Besides I will be the first to complain if JK2 doesn't measure up. ;)

Archived