Home

just some thoughts..

mcfly

Very interesting that there might be another Monkey Island adventure on it's way. I'm looking forward to it. However, I must confess I belong to those old farts who still consider the first two games to be masterpieces but the last two only mediocre.

The biggest misstake was letting Guybrush marry Elaine. That was part of the fun in the first two games - the tension and mixed feelings between those two. It's really not that interesting anymore when you know Guybrush is pretty much set already. Rather than feeling like an adventure-seeking-wanna-be-pirate on a quest for love and treasures I felt like playing a family guy who will soon be home for dinner with his beloved 'dear'. It's really not that exciting.

I didn't find the last two to be really that funny either. I found the jokes to be a little too relaxed and cute. I think there's plenty of space here to take it to a higher level. Don't stop - joke about the joke! Take note of Matt Groening's technique he shows in The Simpsons and Futurama!

The later plots were rather dull and boring as well. I felt it was more about politics and real-life situations which I don't think belong in a pirate adventure game. What I find more interesting is the actual pirate story telling - the myths, treasures, ships, voodo and so on.. combined with the excellent twisted humour of course.

Well, this letter turned out to be more like a rant but it can also be taken as a 'don't do' suggestions for the fifth game. Anyway, comments are welcome!

/McFly

• 1 month later...

I agree Mr MacFly ,

Guybrush cant be a choo choo whipped family man and a happless hero at the same time. There should remain a love tension thingy , its a big mistake like when Bruce Willis got with Cybil Shepard in moonlighting.

The Good Cap'n

(also check out my idea in the diff char forum)

i HATED it wen guybrush married elaine! in mi3 twas ok, but mi4 woz TERRIBLE at the start! i almost switched the game off coz i hated it so much. but luckly i love mi and kept on at it. i think mi1 and 2 were brill and they shood have kept them like that. also, now that theyve done this the secret of mi doesnt work any more. now theyve added all this in theyve taken it away from its origional greatness.

ps. i have a question. in mi2, u find herman on dinky (i think, i lost my version :( ), but in mi1 and 4 hes on monkey and it says hes been there for 20 odd years. how is this?

Archived