Home

Shotgun in Star Wars

Pipe Smoke

as big a fan as I am of shotguns in most games... ie doom, doom 2, quake, quake 2, half-life, counter-strike, etc etc etc...

I think perhaps part of the charm of JK1 was that it had no freaking shotgun.

Anyone think it might be a slight shame that JK2 has one?

Guest Krayt Tion

There are two weapons in JO which already fill the role of a shotgun.

The flechette launcher primary fire functions very much like shotgun. From the official description:

Often used by the Corporate Sector Authority's police squads, the FC-1 fires shards of metal in a shotgun-like spread, capable of hitting multiple targets in close proximity. The primary fire discharges like a shotgun, while secondary fire...

The secondary fire of the Bowcaster always also acts as a shotgun to a lesser extent while in close proximity.

You can rest easy now, me thinks. :)

naw sawr! Me 'un da youngins alwayz 'preciate us some good ol' fashion Bantha wamp rat huntin' !

'N after 'n afternoon a shootin' up dem rat-suckers, nuttin' like a good down home-cooked meal of fried bantha roast with wamp rat dressin' 'n' all the fixin's (along with some of Uncle Jed Eye's special moonshine whiskey).

Woooooooooo weee that's some good eatin'! }plays banjo{*

*With apologies to all you fun lovin' Hill Billies out there. ; )

Guest Krayt Tion

:o

My apologies.

To answer your original post more accurately, I do not think it is a shame. A shotgun-type weapon is the perfect weapon to combat Lightsaber-wielding Jedi, being that they cannot block all the pellets/flechettes/etc with their saber when they are attacked with it.

Thus it adds a lot to balanced game play, which in part makes the game fun- the opposite of what you would expect playing an unbalanced pile of trash.

It appears you concern lies more with the believability of such a weapon type in the Star Wars universe, or more specifically the real-world connection such a weapon brings with it to the SW universe.

I can't fault you there.

Still, ever since the flechette launcher as been revealed, the first thing that springs to mind has never been 'This weapon reminds me of a real-world or another game's shotgun.'

I think instead of the shart flechettes doing a lot more slicing then the bluntness of your average shotgun pellets. Plus, real-world shotguns don't shoot off explosive promixity mines full of flechettes in secondary fire. :D

The flechette launcher is the weapon outside of the lightsaber that excites me the most, and I definitely don't think real-world or another game's shotgun when I see it.

Amazing how misreading one word will change the meaning of a post ;).

Personally, I'm was bit concerned over the inclusion of these projectile weapons in the game, but I'm going to reserve judgment until JO is installed on my hard drive and I'm blasting those stormies into next week.

Anyway, Lucasarts are hardly going to have let Raven put anything in the game that doesn't fit into the feel of the Star Wars universe. Also, Raven are one of the biggest names in FPS games, and judging from their track record they have a pretty good eye for what fits and what doesn't. After all, the BatSaber got removed didn't it :D !

Guest Krayt Tion

Not bad for my second crack at it then? ;)

Yep, time will tell, in this case about 3 weeks till you can give it the playover.

I'm guessing this thing won't sound at all like a real-world shotgun. I bet it sounds less like a BOOMSTICK and more like the sound of hundreds of tiny flechettes whizzing through the air with deadly shreading intent.

RichyBoy: you don't need to try to instill respect for Raven into me. It's there in spades already, and has been since Heretic and Cyclones and that kind of stuff. I've always been very fond of them. But JK1 is a precious enough memory to me that I am not going to sugar-coat or hold back concerns I have, simple as that.

Know that for any *****ing I might do, my overall feeling toward this game is one of great great anticipation and faith, I think despite perhaps a few minor problems, or even a major one or two... the net result will be pure, unrestrainted dopeness.

Krayt: Even if you make a good case for it not being shotgun like (which I'm not saying you do :) ) ... it still is VERY reminiscent of the Unreal/Unreal Tournament gun of this type.

And let's just then call it a lament for a distinctiveness JK had from UT and Q3 and all the rest, being lost.

Or possibly being lost.

I just think it's unfortunate. In fact the more I think about that gun being in the game the more upset I get so I'm going to stop typing now.

I say FuSoYa!!!! to a shotgun weapon. I have always been a shotgun man, and personally, it'll probably be my favorite gun. I'll still be using mostly my lightsaber, but if I have to go projectile for some reason, I'll be whipping out my flechette launcher. I've always wished for one in a star wars game and I think they made a good call. They seem to have kept it star warsish enough as well to be satisfactory.

Originally posted by Pipe Smoke

RichyBoy: you don't need to try to instill respect for Raven into me. It's there in spades already, and has been since Heretic and Cyclones and that kind of stuff. I've always been very fond of them. But JK1 is a precious enough memory to me that I am not going to sugar-coat or hold back concerns I have, simple as that.

Know that for any *****ing I might do, my overall feeling toward this game is one of great great anticipation and faith, I think despite perhaps a few minor problems, or even a major one or two... the net result will be pure, unrestrainted dopeness.

Woah, take it easy buddy :eek:. I wasn't trying to attack your opinion on this matter or go on a "Raven are the supreme Gods" crusade. I was just adding my two cents to the topic. Like I said, I'm a little concerned about the issue too, but there's no point in getting so wound up about it ;).

As I see it, if we all spend too much time nit picking and worrying about such concerns before we've actually played the game, when we actually do get to play it we'll be too busy looking for things that are wrong with it to enjoy the experience.

It is a legit concern, flechettes were tried in vietnam with shotguns but you never see them anymore because they didn't work very well. The idea was to give a shotgun the range of a rifle by giving it a more airodynamic (sp?) ammo. The problem was that they were to streamlined, they would go into or even through a target but the holes were so small that it didn't have much if any effect until after the fight was over. by that time he had ethier killed the shotty wielder or someone else had killed him.

Archived