Home

VSIM request (Long post)

7-7ighlander

Ok, ive wanted this in a Star Wars game for quite some years now so I´ll post it here for some feedback.

First of all, for the non-dbts players out there, VSIM isn´t the sound the saber makes when flip the switch to on. It is, however, a cool and original way of controlling the saber.

The main idea is that when you move the mouse up, you also raise the saber. Lowering the mouse quickly would do an overhead slash, the angle of which should be fully controllable by moving the mouse slightly diagonally.

The rule is: The saber moves as the mouse moves.

The first and only game that I know of to have incorporated VSIM (And which probably invented the abbreviation in the first place) is DBTS, Die By The Sword. However, (mouse) VSIM in DBTS had many flaws, lack of control was one and another was the inability to do any real damage with it.

The damage problem does not exist when the weapon is no longer a rusty sword but a lightsaber.

The control problem is not so easily solved though and in DBTS it often looked like you were fending of flies since in their VSIM you always kept your arm straight.

I would like to see an easy interface with different buttons for different ways of holding the saber. Such as buttons (Or the mouse wheel?) changing to what extent the arm is extended. A button for holding the saber in a block position wouldn´t be bad neither.

The only thing needed now is some nifty solution which allows you to use the mouse to turn with as well.

I would really want to see a VSIM mod being made since this would encourage more skill in handling the saber.

Make it a small file and a client side feature and perhaps we will see it on many servers a few months after release. All we need is a great mod team =)

Just think of blocking blaster shots and fighting other jedis this way.

Of course, should the game be released with so great moves so that it outrivals Rune and other games with similar controls by far, this feature wouldn´t be so sorely missed by me any more!

Archived