Home

Does Jedi Knight 2 support EAX and 3d sound?

neovsmatrix

There is no in-game option to enable EAX. The only options are high or low quality sound. I've read a couple places that you can enable EAX by modifying a .cfg file, but haven't seen confirmation that it actually works yet.

I've had a lot of crashes with my Audigy and Q3 based games.

JK has been no different, with some lockups occuring and high pitched squealing coming form the speakers.

I've disabled acceleration as well as a lot of other things but can't get it stable

Well, I have an Audigy, but my games run perfectly fine. I just wish there was 3d sound in Jedi Knights 2. Kind of seems they took a step back in the audio department since Jedi Knights 1 supported EAX and 3d audio. I was disappointed with the lack of 3d sound in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, too.

Does Jedi Knights 2 use the Miles sound system? I know Medal of Honor does which is based on the same engine Jedi Knights is based on. You can manually enable EAX in Medal of Honor, so you might be able to manually enable EAX in Jedi Knights 2. but you have to know the console commands, I think and be able to edit the config file for Jedi Knights 2.

I would really like to know how to enable 3D positional audio in both Jedi outcast and MOH:AA. If anyone knows of a console command, please post.

I'm running Outcast on a Athlon 1700+, radeon 8500 and Audigy with rock solid framerates and no stability issues. *joy*

Anyone know how you can enable the console in JK2 and what the command options are? By the way, in MOH:AA, you have to first get some Miles sound drivers and copy them into the sound drivers directory of MOH. Search for .m3d files and copy those into the sound drivers directory. Run MOH, and enable the console by pressing the " ` " key which is located right beneath the escape key and to the left of the number 1 key. then type snd_restart, and you'll see the drivers that are supported. Take note of the driver you want to use, exit the game, go into the configs directory in MOH, open the config file, look for something like seta sound or something like that (Miles 2D positional Audio should be the statement after the = sign). Replace the Miles 2d positional audio statement with the exact words you saw in the MOH console for the driver you want to use. I tried this for the demo and it does work all the framerate does drop. It's still no excuse for not having it as an option though. The only bad thing I think there is in MOH is that the voices aren't in 3d sound. But everything else seems to be. Jedi Knights SHOULD be similar in approach, but you need to know the console commands first. Anyone know how to find them out? IMHO, this is really idiotic for a company to emphasize graphics over sound. I don't care if I have to sacrifice a bit of the video quality, but I don't want to compromise on the sound because that destroys the immersiveness of the game.

Under my list for Legacy games (in the Creative Labs Launcher thing that hangs out at the top of the screen) there is Jedi Knight setting for a basic stylized thing

not really EAX but it works to enhance JK's sound

mayhap JK2? :)

oh

i got a SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1

that's for reverb. I'm not looking for reverb settings, I'm looking for 3d audio which is nonexistent in this game. This is one major disappointment to me, because it seriously hinders the immersiveness that the game could have had. Why the hell do game developers choose such a crappy engine (Quake 3) to base their games on when all it has going for it is pretty graphics? Pretty graphics do not make a good game. Sound's at least as important as graphics, IMHO, and it astounds me that developers could choose to ignore it.

Nope, the sound DOES suck. You're being way too generous if you think the sound is grand. It doesn't have true positional 3d sound. This is definitely nowhere near as good as the original, especially in terms of sound. Hell, I don't care if the original had poorer graphics, but the sound in that game was way better than it is in here, IMHO. I'd rather play this game using the original's graphic engine rather than the crappy Quake 3 engine since all that's good for is just rendering pretty graphics.

Archived