Home

David Copperfield on Ice Skates? Hoth's Review of JK II

Hoth

Well, I've been playing for like 15 hours now and I have to say JK II is ok, but not as good as I thought it would be.

Why?

Because in multiplayer it IS essentially still hack and slash. If you're expecting to have duels like in the movies with blocks and lots of saber clashing, forget it.

Force powers dominate. This is a game of magic more than saber duelling. In the movies, the Force Powers are an adjunct to the saber duelling; in this game, the saber duelling is an adjunct to Force Power fighting. There's more magic going on in this game than in Magic Online :)

The action is fast and very hard to manage. Opponents can move backwards from you just as fast as you can RUN straight at them. There's lots of slipping and sliding and rolling and jumping all over the place and consequently very little saber duelling/clashing. Fast movement all over the place makes fighting very difficult.

Fun? Hmmm, I guess so, but it's not exactly a brain game. The action is simply too fast and there's too much movement happening to make it truly skillful.

The amount of Force Power is waaaaay over the top.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that in a 2-person duel, there's CONSTANT non-stop use of some sort of Force Power during the fighting. This disappoints me slightly, because I was looking forward to duelling being the main skill in the game.

Good points? Great sound and music, good graphics, few bugs, AWESOME 3D engine, very stable internet games.

Hoth

I kind of suspected that's what some people would say! It is the QIII engine. Personally, I wish they'd created their own engine for the game. QIII is way hectic. At the same time, I'm sort of glad they used it, because then it's a sure bet that the game will look and feel excellently. The force power thing is quite a dissapointment, though. I mean, man, that sounds boring and annoying to me! Not that that is the entire game though. I don't recall even the mention of the single player game, and that's the reason I'm getting it. Multiplayer is pretty fun, but it's totally lacking the elegance of SW, at least as long as gamers are at the helm, contolling the hackers and slashers. Single player is where it's at, for me.

Make their own engine? Heh.

From somethingawful.com's review of SoF

Raven Software has made it publically clear that their business is solely designing games, not the engine technology powering them. They licensed the Quake 2 engine for Heretic 2. They licensed the Quake 2 engine for "Soldier of Fortune". They licensed the Quake 3 engine for "Star Trek: Elite Force". Every time Kenn Hoekstra goes to pick up groceries, he swings by id Software's building and licenses an engine just for the heck of it. In the back of his Chevy truck, there's about 40 Quake engines, just lying around all over the place.

:)

or perhaps make each force power require twice the amount of mana.

or make mana regeneration twice as slow

it'll be nice if force power is used as a "last desperate final move" instead of being spammed like crazy.

qtseng raises a valid point and after a half-day's solid play I agree with his suggestion of halving the amount of mana available or making Force Powers cost double what they do now.

The suggestion that players should control the amount of Force Powers when setting up a game is fine, but I fear that in the future there's going to be a host of different styles and standards of games and the lack of uniformity in the "community" will make things like tournament matches and clan battles harder to organize due to the endless array of "types" of Force limit games that people play.

I think Raven need to balance Force Powers better. Maybe they'll restrict them a little in a future patch?

Hoth

Guest Apparition

On my server I plan to have force powers off. I prefer the dueling but I'll have weapons up a bunch too. But I'm looking forward to saber dueling.

Archived