Home

56K Issues

[D12]SirBanshee

Yea it seems JK2 on the zone only works for Cable/DSL/higher. I've tried about a half dozen games with people. And so far everytime I get "Connection Interruption". I also like how that factor isn't addressed in any of the readmes/support files. I wasn't expecting 16 people games with a 56k but at least 4. Even UT version 4.00(thats with no updates) had a better lag system than this game. Which is pathetic. I even had my video settings on fastest and all options on LOW/OFF. JKDF2 had troublesome lag, but this is ridiculous. So far in the rooms everyone's pings average between 150-400. And in game my constantly hits 999 for some reason. When I've asked people in the room on the MSN Gaming Zone they've told me I'm at 250-325 usually. Well done with incorpating 56K into the MP part of the game Raven.

What's probably happening is that the server has a maximum ping set up to (I would think) around 400-500. When your ping peaks to the 999, the server dumps you.

Two things you could do are

1: Disable Call Waiting if you have it

2: If your modem doesn't have all the bells and whistles (flex, etc.) upgrade it to a better one.

3: get a better connection, if you can get a neighbor to pitch in with you you can get a router and split the montly cost (we split ours with two neighbors, so I get DSL for 17 bux a month)

just my two battledroids worth: :bdroid2: :bdroid2:

You're ping is so sucky on the zone because the game is being hosted peer to peer. Use a dedicated server, you'll get much better pings. Having said that though, I played on the zone today and my ping was 300-350 and the gameplay was fine, no lag.

Even on the zone I ping in at 350-400 on other games such as DF2, MW3, MW4. I had a friend with cable host a game, and he had no maximum/minimum pings selected. And it still was constantly giving an Connection Interuption popup on my screen. I tweaked my modem awhile ago. Its not my machine either, 1.67GHZ AMD Althon, 512DDRRAM, 80GIG HD, GeForce3 Ti-200.

I got a 56k modem, and just got the game today.

Played with 2 other people, with the host on a cable modem. I set the transfer rate to 3000 and the game was basicly lag free for me. 200-250ms pings the whole game.

go into the console via the shift+~ key, and type

/rate 3000

This sets the transfer rate your client will accept to 3kps, the defaut is 4kps or 4000. It helps a Ton, because by default the server is trying to send you info at 4kps and quite offten a 56k modem can't handle that. So what happens is your modem is getting flooded, sorta like a ping flood on IRC.

If you set the rate down, the server only sends you info at 3kps which the modem can handle much easier, you lose fewer packets and the ping drops a good bit (or at least did in my case).

One of the guys I played with lastnight was conned at like 24.6 and even he found the game to be very playable after setting the rate down.

Archived