Home

SP Lightsaber more refined? *SPOILERS*

Darkseed

In response to GRIMLOCK, yes they do clash together in MP but that only happens if: 1. You both are standing idle next to eachother or 2. If one of you keeps your saber idle and the other person swings at you which results in a block.

And Chang, I just want to take the time to praise you a little for the SP lightsabers, I have difficulty finding the right words to describe it but I think the best way would be with only two words. "STAR WARS" :)

Making saberfights more movielike than you did is probably impossible. I just wish I could fight against a friend with the SP system.

And if Toshiya is reading this, I am in no way calling the MP system a bad one, you've done a great job too. I've had tons of fun playing online and I realise that you had to keep some of the effects done in SP down to reduce the lag.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if Toshiya is reading this, I am in no way calling the MP system a bad one, you've done a great job too. I've had tons of fun playing online and I realise that you had to keep some of the effects done in SP down to reduce the lag.

Agreed. This is one of the few games where 1 on 1 multiplayer is a blast to play.

It would be great if you guys can add variables to let us tweak saber on saber collisions (on/off) and/or add another variable to adjust the frequency of saber collisions.

I'd love to be able to adjust it for one on one duels with friends + such.

It would indeed be great, the thought alone of being able to duel a friend with the SP system sends shivers down my spine.

It would also make it easier to counter those who only use the heavy stance and hoping for a lucky hit, I have encountered way too many of those.

Originally posted by EekTheKat

Agreed. This is one of the few games where 1 on 1 multiplayer is a blast to play.

This is the only FPS I've played where 1 on 1 has been more fun.

I've noticed the differences in MP and SP sabre fights too, so I thought I'd just add my voice to the chorus urging any keen programmers (or Raven) to help us out. I found that SP really takes some skill and knowledge (or what you are doing) to come out on top. While I've found this to be the case in some instances in MP (mainly in duels), generally it just isn't the same. The lack of collision is a real aid for the less... developed players, shall we say. I really like to use my defending skills to open up attackers, but alas, they are rather limited in MP. I have to rely on standing still to block and can't use any of my own swings to do so. I think switching to the SP system would really add to the fun, and us more "refind" players could truly get the better of those nuts just waving their swords left, right and centre without any thought. I think the other issue is of course the netcode. I've been unable to find many solid games... in fact I've only played one (with 3 other guys) where the lag wasn't a real pain, and this is still when I join servers with a ping of 25-30.

While I'm commenting, it would be great to have a MP gamestyle based on a round system. I enjoy the experiencing of playing knowing that death really means something and you need to watch your moves. It really adds to the excitement. That incorperated with an experience system (maybe the more kill you get the more force points you can allocate) would be fantastic. MP seems to have too much focus on sword fighting and none on other weapons. Not that the former isn't great, it is, but it would be so great to run around a battlefield knowing that there are limited Jedis. On a simplistic level, perhaps a server command to allow limits on the number of Jedis per side? In addition, a class system would be neat with each charcter being able to only operate specific weapons AND items and maybe even features... e.g. only non-Jedi characters could capture the enemy's flag in CTF.

Finally, and this is probably one for any would-be modders, more skills would be wonderful. Obviously addition forces would be brilliant, but that's not really what I'm refering to. I'd like to greater differences in the ranks of skills (or maybe more ranks). Obviously this perception can be changed by simply limiting the force points one can allocate (any servers doing that out there?) but the trick is to not have everyone running around with maxed out offensive/defensive skills. I'd like to see more variation in playing styles.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, and well done, I'm just making my own simple observations. The single player experience is one of the best I've had in a long time. Now if only I could find an easy way to kill that Admiral (or whatever he is) and his powersuit. :)

woohoo

From the interview at the modcentral, which can be found here:

http://modcentral.jediknightii.net/featured.shtml

"JOMC: What was to most fun to work on, while developing Jedi Knight II?

CF: Testing out the lightsaber combat and all its many, many intricacies. I've never before felt so close to being a Jedi in a game before. I made a special room for our lightsaber guru (Mike Gummelt) to test out all the work he was putting into lightsaber combat. It has found its way into the game in a special spot, ideally suited for a duel with a surprise foe (or two!).

Near the end of the project he even turned it into a progression ladder with successive waves of lightsaber wielding bad guys that spawn as you defeat their predecessors. A great way to humble yourself quickly."

if you find it, yell!!! hehe

If raven can make the mp lightsaber system be more like sp, the game would be ridiculously PERFECT. Please..please implement it in the next patch (or even just make it so the swords parry more often..coz thats what the fight scenes in Star Wars are about, parrying, and countering). Thanks!!!

Also, ppl who'd like this, please post in the next patch post too..so raven will see it!

Its not a map, ive had a look in the pk3 files and the only different one I can find is the pit one where you go 1 on 1 with tavion. I'm thinking that maybe its a 'cheat' code of some variety that you turn on to turn pit into that ladder style map... perhaps.

I have no idea how to find out about codes in the game... I want this ladder, and I want it now. :)

i must say, in the last level i fought 4 reborns at once, and that was a great fight. In SP i always fight in light style just to make the fight last longer.

I kept me a savegame right at the start of all the good saber fights so i can go back to them whenever i want. But right now i think i might go do the last level again, although i wont finish it cos i didnt really like the fight against desann that much.

Me neither really, he used lightning and grip way too much, and his grip was kinda lame because it took like 3 or 4 force push to get out of it and by then he had already done lots of damage. The fight against Tavion was much more fun. :)

Damn...

after playing around with the pit level in single player I find myself wishing more and more that the sabers in multi-player can be tweaked more along the lines of what sp sabers are. I'd love to be able to duel a friend in a one on one match with the SP sabers.

Please seriously consider this or look into it guys. If it can't be done on a FFA or other 2+ user environment please see if it can possibly work in a one on one duel.

Although there is actually one thing that is in the MP that isn't in SP that I feel should be in there, the kick to the face. I find it very useful for knocking people down when you can't use push. I tried to do it on Tavion a long time last night but it didn't seem like it was possible.

Originally posted by Darkseed

Although there is actually one thing that is in the MP that isn't in SP that I feel should be in there, the kick to the face. I find it very useful for knocking people down when you can't use push. I tried to do it on Tavion a long time last night but it didn't seem like it was possible.

Are you refering to jumping and landing on someone so that they fall the ground? That is definately possible in single-player, although the likes of Tavion may be immune to it.

No I'm not talking about landing on their head, I'm talking about running up to them and doing a backflip hitting them in the face. Try it in MP, just run up to them until you're "touching" eachother (now don't take that in a perverted way guys) and press jump.

Excellent thread!

Like has been said over and over again in this thread (but possibly still not often enough :) SP lightsabers are simply perfect.

It's like a movie in the making, only they actually allow you to control it. (The only way to possibly improve the system would be the further inclusion of a physics simulation.)

Now I am a programmer myself and I realize the troubles of running this kind of code over the internet. Still, if in any way possible at all, it'd be heaven to play the SP kind of duels at least on a LAN and/or 1vs1.

Furthermore I'd also really appreciate a description of how the SP and MP lightsaber codebase differs. Though the resulting difference is drastic, the little details are hard to make out, so if any of the friendly Raven crew can manage to find the time to detail it... :)

Why don't we encourage programmers at doing a patch that fixes the MP saber to be a little similar with the SP one? I don't mean that it should be EXACTLY like the SP one, but only with more chances to clash 2 blades and similar things, with improved physics, but mantaining things that will not overload the guys playing on the internet..

Yea it's has already been said, but i wanna encourage the programmers too..

Welcome to the boards enyak, you get a limited edition chocolate lightsaber :)

Raven are fully aware of the wishes the community has for a more refined lightsaber system in MP and they will probably make some changes for the better in future patches.

Archived